Friday, July 24, 2015

embracing inefficiency

Happy Friday lovelies! You'll never guess what I am going to do this weekend....
Going to the races! I am seriously not kidding. A group of B's friends saw our photos from last weekend and had to go. The control freak in me is already kicking in after having done this last weekend and being the planner that I naturally am.
("This is the time we should leave." "This is the transportation we should use." "This is what/where we should do/eat beforehand.")
[Tank - JCrew // Skirt - Loft // Earrings - Forever 21 // Necklace - Lane Bryant // Shoes - Blues&Shoes]

More times that not  people are grateful for my planning, especially when they realize I usually have snacks in my purse when they get hungry. I like to squeeze something into every second, make sure everyone else is having a good time, which is why I plan like I do. However, sometimes it can get exhausting and annoying to myself and others, I'm sure. Most of my friends are like me though, like how I got this email:
when I sent out a girls weekend "itinerary."

But for situations I am not planning, here is how I learn to let go...
  1. It's not your event, just go with it. The second I say this to myself (or when B reminds me of this), I instantly feel better. I have zero responsibly in the matter, I am just along for the ride and for the fun.
  2. Appreciate the alternative too. So I may have envisioned a better way to do things, but the alternative might be just a good, just in a different way. Even if it's not, refer to #1.
  3. Not every moment is about efficiency. Really though, some moments are about being inefficient, living in the moment, taking a step back and relaxing. I always tell family and friends that's my biggest draw to living in a small town. Small towns embrace a slower pace of life, community over control.
  4. Embrace the adventure. Some of the biggest laughs, coolest sites, and best inside jokes come from the moments that aren't planned. 
  5. You're there, if needed. You're wired the way you are and I don't feel shameful for being the planner I am. So if at any time there is moment of "What should we do?," my instincts can kick right back into planner mode to get a game plan back on track.

Are you a control freak, sometimes to a fault? What are your tips for letting go?

1 comment: