Thursday, June 11, 2015

5 for 5 - Homemade Cleaners

Our neighbors just moved this week to North Carolina (my heart). B and I started discussing that between repurchasing kitchen staples and cleaning supplies, setting up a new house costs so much money. When our time comes for our next move though, it's going to be so much cheaper than our previous moves now that I make my own cleaning supplies. With  the exception of carpet cleaner, laundry detergent, and dishwasher detergent, I make all of our cleaning products, using 5 ingredients (6 if you add baking soda to my list which I use for scrubbing the bath tub). Switching out our all purpose cleaner and dryer sheets alone, we've probably saved hundreds over the last year.

To Purchase:
Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap (I use unscented for cleaning and peppermint for my body wash)
Essential Oils
White Vinegar 
Rubbing Alcohol
Olive Oil
With the addition of water, these 5 ingredients will make pretty much everything you need for cleaning.

Glass Cleaner
2c. water
2tbsp white vinegar
2 tbsp rubbing alcohol
5-10 drops of essential oil
Add together. Shake to combine, spray into a towel, and wipe clean.

All Purpose Cleaner
I recently purchased Meyers Concentrate and am currently using it for my all purpose cleaner, the stuff lasts for-ev-errrrr. I would highly recommend it if you would rather skip the steps of completely homemade cleaner, but still want something natural. To make your own however...
1 c. water
2tbsp castile soap
20-40 drops of essential oil (I use tea tree, lime, and grapefruit in mine)
I always double this recipe, pour into a spray bottle (glass is better, essential oils break down plastic, but I'm the pot calling the kettle black because I use plastic, as you can see above), shake before each use.

Chrome (and Mirror) Cleaner
2c. water
1/2tsp castile soap
3tbsp white vinegar
Add to a spray bottle, shake well to combine. Spray on surface allow to sit for a couple of minutes, wipe off with a damp cloth and buff with a dry cloth.

Dusting Spray
1c. water
1/4c. white vinegar
2tsp olive oil
10-15 drops of essential oils
Add to spray bottle and shake well (you need to mix the oil and water) before use. The olive oil is key because it helps prevent dust from settling.

Granite Counter top Cleaner
I like to use citrus essential oils when cleaning because the are naturally a disinfected, but they also just remind me of cleaning. However when cleaning granite (or marble), acid in citrus breaks down the protective layering in the stone, so you need a special cleaner for it. Method has a great granite cleaner, but I am telling you this is so much cheaper in the long run.
2c. water
1/4c. white vinegar
5 drops of castile soap
10 drops of essential oils (lavender and eucalyptus smell divine together) 

No comments:

Post a Comment