Thursday, April 30, 2015

capsule wardrobe diaries

Have you heard about the article on a capsule wardrobe that is basically "breaking the internet" or at least flooding my Facebook newsfeed? You can read it here, but basically it's this concept about a 37 piece wardrobe for a season at a time, shopping only once every season. As I was reading the article, I found myself nodding at just about everything...particularly the reference about our overstuffed closets being a Cheesecake Factory Menu versus a fine dining menu.

After spending about 3 hours researching and reading the blog Un-Fancy, I decided I wanted to do it. It just made so much sense to me; buying less but spending more on better quality pieces and limiting your pieces to a cohesive collection.
As you can tell, I obviously got rid of the majority of my wardrobe...
And here is the after...
I am going to be honest with you though, I did not keep only 37 pieces.

Here were the rules I used for myself to get started:
  1. A casual capsule AND a work capsule. You cannot rock shredded jeans and a white tee into a business meeting, you just can't. That is why I decided to do both separately instead of trying to merge them to fit my work life and my casual life. Besides, by the end of the week, I am over my work wear and want some soft jeans, so I figured it wasn't worth trying to share.
  2. My accessories do not count in my capsule. I. love. my. costume. jewelry. Although, I did get rid of pieces that I knew I would never wear. And going forward, quality pieces only.
  3. If it went over my clothing limit but I still love it and wear it all the time, it stayed. 
  4. Shopping more than just a season. If I love it, if it will add quality to my wardrobe, I'll get it. 
  5. Good-Bye therapy shopping. This is my biggest weakness, and I impulsively spend $70 here and there and end up hating the clothes after a single wash.
  6. Store it. Out of season pieces I stored away. It helps with my wardrobe feeling less cluttered and overwhelming.
  7. Quality doesn't mean expensive. When I was going though everything, I kept this particular shirt from Forever21 that I've had since college. It cost me $15 back then, but it's still a piece I feel good in. Quality pieces are what is quality to me, regardless of the price.
Have you heard of the capsule wardrobe? What do you think? Have you tried it? Did you make up your own rules? Keep y'all posted on how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. What a cool concept. I love the metaphor between cheesecake factory's menu. Dang that thing is huge anytime I talk about them I have to mention the fact that their menu is insanely large.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty similar to what I did. And yes, I tossed pricier items and kept cheaper ones, that actually get worn! What a concept, haha!

    Today I laid everything on my driveway and hoped people would drive by and take it (They didn't). SoldierMan came out and saw our three car driveway COVERED in clothes and said, "I guess this means you need to go shopping." NO! THAT'S THE POINT! But then he's the shopping enthusiast in the relationship. :)

    ReplyDelete