Wednesday, April 08, 2015

10 reasons being a milspouse is the best

When I talk to people about my husbands job and the fact that he's gone, I always get the sympathy face, which makes me cringe. I instantly feel compelled to jump into my speech about how I love this life. And I do. Sure, we have missed a lot being away from family, good and bad. No, I do not always sleep well at night as I wait for a phone call. And as much as I would love to live near family and have my husband home always, at this point, the pros of the military fully outweigh the cons for us.
This list started at "top 3" and once I started writing, the more the list grew...
  1. Pride. My man is a mans man; rough and tough, honorable, hardworking. Half the person is who he always was and the other half is what the Marine Corps has taught him. I am giddy at the mention of his name, swoon when I see the look in his eyes when he talks about his love for this country, and I am so proud to be the one who he shares his life with.
  2. Self. I have learned so much about myself and my personal strength. I am independent, adaptable, open-minded. I am comfortable being by myself and able to join a group alone. I have challenged everything about who I was before, and I've come out better.
  3. Community. Friends who feel more like family, who get this life to its core and share in your triumphs and falls. These are the people that fit somewhere past friendship, people who know your vulnerabilities and love you anyways. This community you build may go in separate directions, and during your time a part, you have that wholeness knowing you have better than best friends spread across the world and your paths will cross again. (Like the fact one of my closest friends from when we lived in VA is moving to San Diego this summer!) 
  4. Support. Being apart of the military life, you are instantly exposed to support options that you do not get in the civilian world. Family Readiness Officers (FRO) that are assigned to a unit and help with any transitional questions you have, plan unit events, and your resource during deployments (unless your husband goes on a deployment without FRO - hand raise). L.I.N.K.S classes to help understand the Marine Corps better and get a feel for the base you are living by. I believe in what they say about going to a LINKS class each time you arrive at a new base. Even if you have been to one before, there is always something new to learn. Then, speaking on the side of active duty, I have seen firsthand (from my job), especially when children are involved, the level of support you are able to receive from your command in a time of need.
  5. Travel. Never in my life would I have dreamed I would live in California or have the possibility of one day living in Japan or Hawaii, but with the military, it's possible.
  6. Benefits. Tricare- complain all you want,but in almost all cases, you are not paying money out of pocket and you get good care. ITT - Discounts on ticket prices, yes please! The commissary and the MCX. There are so many wonderful benefits that I feel are well deserved for our hard working service members. Each time I utilize these privileges, I stop and appreciate that we have them.
  7. Marriage Counseling. This life can be challenging at times, but the Marine Corps offers counseling services for families and even family/couple strengthening classes. We have been to the Love Languages course and we really enjoyed it! Whether or not you need it, it's awesome to have these resources for FREE!
  8. Military Children. These little ones are raised with manners, honor, and pride. They are resilient, flexible and incredibly mature for the things they have to endure. Not to mention, they know what do to when Colours plays.
  9. Culture. You live all over the world, you become friends with people who grew up in all different backgrounds and with different views. You quickly learn to become more culturally aware, break down stereotypes, and reserve judgement. It's one of the greatest riches I've gained from these last few years.
  10. Moving. Someone else packs and moves everything! For a person who hates packing this is pretty much the best thing ever, even if a few things get broken and others go missing.

Every day I feel thankful for this life. Even during moments that I am struggling, I am still thankful. I once heard someone say, "I don't get why people label themselves as a military spouse? They are a spouse like anyone else. Others don't say, "I'm a teacher spouse or I'm CEO spouse." I am not sure it was until I was fully submersed into this world that I understood that yes, you are a spouse like all other spouses, but this life is more than a job, it's a lifestyle that involves an entire family and I feel honored to live it.

9 comments:

  1. This is great! My husband separated from AD a few years ago, and we moved to a very non-military community. I definitely had embraced the lifestyle and most of my reasons mirrored yours, and explaining it all to new friends here is interesting because they literally have no clue what it's like. Most people have never moved away from this city that they grew up in. (I'm the oddball, everywhere!) My husband is still a Reservist, so we get a taste of that life again every so often. I miss a handful of things about the lifestyle (free healthcare, for one), and I totally miss the packers--especially when we did a cross-town move after we bought our house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post, lady! You are so amazing as is your husband. Thank you for supporting him as he supports our country. I'm an Army brat and am thankful for the life I was able to live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a good list, and it is all so true! People get the wrong impression about military wives/families because all they see is a tear filled homecoming (happy tears). But they don't see the day in and day out. Glad you pointed out the positives :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! I second all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look amazing and I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post so much! Sometimes I feel like people get the wrong idea about military families but this is a perfect list of all things that make being military spouse amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post a lot! Such awesome points! I did a post just like this last month and never even thought to mention the types of help military couples receive like marriage counseling! As much as we all dislike the military sometimes, they do a lot for their service members and their families. I love being a military wife :)

    xx,
    Keating

    www.highheelsandcombatboots.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are awesome, Jordan! You were really on a roll with this list. Getting used to having your beloved not be with you all the time must've been quite a challenge, but it's a challenge that you've overcome with flying colors, judging from this post. And as you've said, you learn a lot of things about yourself, and maybe gain an insight on your partner's, as well. That, and you know that he is doing the country a great service, wherever he might be right now. Anyway, thank you for sharing how proud you are to be a Milspouse. Cheers!

    Brad Post @ Jan Dils

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems that you are really proud of being a military spouse. You listed down those reasons and explained each of them accurately and precisely. It seems that you're so proud of being one, and I don't see any reason for you not to be. You are so blessed, and I'm so happy for you. Thanks for sharing that, Jordan! All the best to your family!

    Collene Mcculloch @ Brilliant Marble

    ReplyDelete