Wednesday, January 21, 2015

inspired by nature

I've finally added the last pieces to my updated entryway. It's such a small little space, literally, it's a wall. An entry"space" gives the initial impression and sets the mood for your home, for guests and yourself, so I have personally always found it important to make ours cozy. I had my eye on this sailor's mirror for months and when I finally purchased it, I loved how much of a statement it made. Unfortunately, I had a hard time giving it that complete look, feeling that everything I added around it didn't match in proportion.
If I'm ever having an artistic block, I always take a walk outside. So on Saturday I grabbed a pair of scissors and a cardigan and headed outdoors. About 30 minutes later, I came walking back up the stairs to our condo with two large brown palm branches, half my size, draped over my shoulder and two pieces of green smaller palm.

The pieces I picked in nature, offered the balance I was looking for against the mirror, and fit nicely in our little beach house for what may be our last summer here.

Of course, in honor of my favorite surfer, I labeled the chalkboard pointing towards the waves and towards the bed, in case we ever get mixed up.

And, another for myself:
Work (towards the door)
Wine (once I pass through that entryway)

5 comments:

  1. Looks great! I need to figure out what to do with our entryway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this look!!! where did you get the mirror???? :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it from Wayfair! It goes on sale every few weeks for around $70 , so I just waited until it did and I purchased it. Such a steal!

      http://www.wayfair.com/Wildon-Home-%C2%AE-Bolivar-Decorative-Wall-Mirror-XG2740-UT3245.html

      Delete
  3. Our entryway is such a joke in our house out here. You open our front door and are greeted with just enough space for the closet door to open and STAIRS. Immediately, stairs up to our living space. There's an awkward landing not big enough to really have anything go there, so I feel so cheated that you have a long stairwell of nothingness to come into our home to.
    So whenever you feel like coming out to Okinawa and hooking me up with some of your style, there's the first task I'll let you get to :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a neat space! Love the whimsy :)

      Delete