Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Surviving Christmas...Alone (6 tips)

Christmas number two without my husband and family.

To get me through the holiday, with a little humor, I am sharing 6 tips that help me get through Christmas day. 
 photo tumblr_nf0er3j90M1r1z45bo3_250_zpsd4tcvbth.gif
 photo tumblr_nf0er3j90M1r1z45bo4_250_zps6xfv7lna.gif
1. Decorate the house. Do not be all bah-humbug about this because you've convinced yourself it doesn't matter since no one else will see it. I may not have added a single ornament to our tree, but my home is decorated and has that cozy holiday atmosphere that gives me so much joy. I owe that happiness of Christmas to myself.

2. Do not check social media. I made this mistake last year - lovey and kissing family photos with everyone in matching plaid is adorable, except for when it's not. See 5 and 6 for other options of things to do.

3. Keep with traditions. Even if it's hard, continue with your "family traditions". Decorate that gingerbread house, go to your church service on Christmas Eve, open your Christmas pajamas (or a new idea that I love and will be starting next year), make your special breakfast Christmas morning, and have the Christmas Story (on repeat) as your opening gifts by the fire.

4. If you don't want to get out of your PJ's and meet up with others...don't. You don't have to make up an excuse other than, "I want to be alone today and I don't want to be around a group couples." I can be a prideful person, so it took me a while to finally say it, but, with most of your friends being military spouses - they will get it.
Like New Years - don't. even. ask. 

5. Lifetime, Hallmark, ABC Family. Feel good movies all day. And since in your mind that is your life, it makes you feel happy.

6. If all else fails mimosas (or just champagne with a straw) and a good book on the patio is fail-proof.

5 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, Jordan! I am thankful for men and women like your husband, and husbands and wives like you who make this sacrifice for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the support, it's one of the best feelings in the world to have that! Merry Christmas to you and your family too!!!

      Delete
  2. I've been thinking about you lots as the holiday approaches, & I am proud of you. I don't know if I would be able to be as strong as you. Thank you again and again, for your sacrifice and for Ben's. I can't even imagine. And you go ahead and put that champagne in the fridge & get that straw ready! Merry Christmas sweet lady... at least you have beautiful Cali weather to enjoy..xo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet friend! I think that this one will actualy be better than Thanksgiving, or I am at least feeling more optimistic about it! Merry Christmas to you and your family as well! And give sweet little Lucy an big hug and kiss from me!

      Delete
  3. I didn't decorate the house this year, and I made plans to spend Christmas day with another alone (lonely) Marine wife as well as a woman Marine. We plan to serve breakfast to the homeless population in Ocean Beach, view Unbroken in theatres, then dine at Hotel del Coronado. I definitely plan to take up your idea of mimosas (well, wine) in the evening. You can join us if you'd like. All-day movie marathon sounds good, too. Merry Christmas xoxo

    ReplyDelete