Monday, May 19, 2014

What to Pack - Southern California

I am not going to lie to you, packing for a trip to Southern California can be hard - and don't go thinking a bathing suit and some cut off shorts is all you need, because you'll be running to the closest souvenir shop to buy yourself a hoodie. 
Now, I am notorious for being a horrible packer. I literally shipped a huge box back to the east coast when I went home for a month. But, anytime people who have never been before come out to visit, I always give these suggestions packing suggestions to them.

1. Layers, layers, layers. Our 70 is different than your 70. It gets chilly in the evenings from the breeze off of the pacific. Most days here, I can always wear a light sweater and not feel too hot.
2. Tennis shoes. Southern California is basically one big outdoor activity. Those, and some work out clothes.
3. A bathing suit. Duh. But then again didn't your momma always teach you to bring a bathing suit...just in case. I mean, you probably won't swim, because the water is freezing, but you'll probably wear it a time for two.
4. Pack your LBD or LRD. Everything is pretty laid-back here, the restaurants, the bars, and as nice as casual is - there is just going to be that day you want to dress up - and we've got great restaurants and delicious wineries out here for that itch.
5. Shorts for bed. Unless you live inland, you probably do not have AC in your home - like us. And it's just human nature, when you sleep, you get hot. The lighter layers, the better.
6. You don't need rain boots/jacket. it rarely rains here, don't waste the space in your suitcase. (Come to think of it though, every time someone has come to visit from the east coast, it's either rained the day of their arrival or the days before. Weird.)
7. Wedges. I love pumps, but here on the coast wedges are much more practical if you're wanting height. For a gal who loves heels, I can count on my hands the number of times I've worn pumps (outside of work) here in Southern California.
8. Pack in a color scheme. I think this goes for any trip, but if you pack in a color scheme, you can mix and match easier...and spice it up with accessories; they take up less space.

PS. If you're a redditor...you may have seen that photo above before on the main page....
This is the wall next to our winery.

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya! I will never forget getting pneumonia in June when I was in SD for summer NROTC training.... I was used to muggy humid East Coast summer nights....no jackets required. Not so in SoCal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness I wish that I had read this before my extended stay trip out to southern california last year! hahaha! I laughed at myself as I saw so many ways that I did NOT prepare adequately! Lessen definitely learned and I will definitely be following your tips for future trips!! :)
    :) Rebecca

    ReplyDelete