Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Fake Clean a House

My husband and I are opposite in so many ways. 

"There are dreamers and there are realists in this world, you would think the dreamers would find the dreamers and the realists would find the realists, but more often than not the opposite is true. See the dreamers need the realist to keep the dreamers from soaring to close to the sun. And the realists? Well without the dreamers, they might never get off the ground." - Modern Family

My husband is notorious for inviting guests over last minute and it drives me crazy.
For me, I want guests to walk into a clean environment and feeling comfortable, for my husband, he's just inviting a friend to stay the night so he doesn't have a 2 hour drive after a 16 hour work day. And he's right, it really wouldn't matter in the big scheme of things; but after they rave about how wonderful it was to have breakfast made for them and a cozy bed with extra fluffy pillows, he knows I'm right too.

So while we sometimes drive each other crazy, we know that we balance each other in the best way and for everything else, we create shortcuts.
Here are the 10 last minute things I do with the typical 30 minutes I am given before guests arrive:
  1. Wipe down any finger prints from stainless steel appliances or if you have white appliances, bleach is your best friend for wiping down your appliances and making them look new.
  2. Get things up off the ground. Everything has a spot, whether it's in a basket, a bucket, a rack; I find a spot for all the nick-knacks on the floor or counter.
  3. Wipe down the toilet. We get hard water stains on just about anything that touches water, that's how bad it is here, so a quick wipe down inside the toilet is always on my must do if I find out any last minute guests are coming.
  4. A quick vacuum, if only to have the lines that instantly make the house look cleaner
  5. Wipe down the counter-tops in the kitchen. 
  6. Fluff and arrange the pillows.
  7. Take out the trash.
  8. Light candles. Insta-ambiance. 
  9. Set out a light snack, something as simple as cheese and crackers, or Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar and Bread.
  10. After all that running around, my cheeks are already flushed; so I add a little lip gloss and am ready for our guests arrival.

4 comments:

  1. I'm a weirdo about having the bathroom clean for guests. I've literally had nightmares about people stopping by last minute and it not being guest ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The toilets are huge for me too. Our water is also super hard so our toilets can get pretty ugly at times, I hate if a guest has to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that quote from MF :) thanks for the tips... my husband is notorious for doing the same as yours! Gotta love them

    ReplyDelete
  4. a fake clean house is the only way to keep the sanity
    LOL
    Brett

    ReplyDelete