Monday, March 10, 2014

camping trip FAIL

On 8PM Friday night everyone had finally arrived at the camping site, and by 9AM on Saturday morning the camping trip was over. There is no questioning the views and the atmosphere of Julian are undoubtedly some of my favorites in all of southern California. So, even with all the chaos that occurred, you can't take that away for the weekend. Every time I come here (as much as I am not a fan of camping per se), I am reminded that the country and slower paced living is where my heart lies. The weekend started with 4 dogs, 8 people; 2 sets of couples, a girlfriend and her baby with her visiting sister, and myself. Upon our arrival, we learned the birthday boy had completely thrown out his back after a basketball game during the week. Being the sweet husband he is, he still continued on with the camping trip his wife worked so hard to plan. The entire night we joked that 30 must feel older than we all thought it would be. Needless to say, Friday night turned out a little more low key than we had planned. Each time I am camping I wake up the second the sun beings to rise, after having tossed and turned all night, I look forward to the daylight. On Saturday morning the birthday boy woke up in even more pain than the night before after sleeping on the ground. We decided to make the most of the morning then pack up and leave in the late afternoon. After making a search for firewood then cooking breakfast, my girlfriend and her baby, and sister decided that her son had "woken up on the wrong side of the tent" as she stated and they needed to bail even earlier. Her husband has been deployed the last 5 months and it's moments like this where it's almost impossible to have just one person there when you want to to participate, and still need to be there for your child. Then around 8AM with 5 of us left, we decided our plans for the afternoon, before heading back home. About 10 minutes before we were gearing up to leave, two of the dogs in a split second got into a fight over the ownership of a bone. After about 30 seconds of panic, we realized one of the pug's (not the one photoed) eye had popped out of its socked! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT.....
In a panic, the parents of the pug headed for the nearest (1 hour) emergency pet hospital, as the remainder of us packed up camp and their other pup and followed behind them. The puppy is okay along with everyone else, but good gracious...not the way we had hoped the weekend would have ended up.

Would you have been able to tell this is what the weekend really was if you just based it off of our photos?
The beer version of mimosas...
Life isn't always picture perfect, what we see in photos doesn't always depict what is really going on. Recently, B and I have been talking babies (in a couple of years) and in the more near future, a dog after finally deciding on a breed that would suite the two of us. However, watching the weekend unfold, and sitting there alone with no responsibility, it had me questioning if B and I were ready for the next steps...? Then I remembered, it's moments like this that turn experiences into memories, friends into family, and life into an adventure. So I think we'll keep going on just the way we are now, you know, until that unexpected moment that we didn't plan on changes things.

6 comments:

  1. WOW!! Crazy times! How is the pooch?? His eye ok? I WOULD HAVE FREAKED OUT!!!! Lovely pictures. Sorry it didn't turn out as you envisioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His eye is okay, they actually are having him go back into surgery for the last vet not properly treating it, so fingers crossed!

      Delete
  2. Eww eww eww! I've heard that can happen to pugs' eyes...so gross. Camping can be such a hit-or-miss adventure, but I'm glad Friday night was still cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We Googled it after things had calmed down and you're so right, it's somewhat common with them, so crazy!

      Delete
  3. No baby's or dogs for a loooooong time -- trust me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww nothing went as planned at all. That poor puppy!! I don't I could have looked at his sad eye. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete