Wednesday, January 22, 2014

hail and farewell

This past weekend B's CO (commanding officer) and his wife hosted an informal Hail and Farewell brunch for those joining and leaving the company. B is one of those leaving, so it was a little bittersweet. I absolutely adored this family, from day one they have been a family B and I look up to and respect. They are real and have always made us feel welcome from the day we moved to California. The CO has been the pillar for many of the opportunities my husband has been given, and his wife has reminded me that a great military spouse isn't necessarily the one who is the "most involved", but one that is genuinely loving and kind.

I got up extra early on Saturday for a little baking...
 
We brought over Candied Bacon and French Breakfast Puffs...
Candied Bacon caused some excitement in our house for a Saturday morning. I was able to salvage the majority of the bacon, but I almost burned the house down in the process. That's what happens when you take your eyes away from the kitchen to go Instagram a photo.
If you can manage to not burn your house down, the candied bacon was a HUGE success, people could not get enough! The puffs are delicious too, perfect with hot tea.

We spent a large chunk of the morning at their house, mingling and eating, and eventually I lost my husband to skateboarding with the neighborhood kids.
We're so incredibly grateful to have been introduced into the Marine Corps with the amazing servicemen and their families that we have encounter thus far, guiding our path, filled with wisdom that we will continue to carry as we take the next steps in this journey. 

12 comments:

  1. I must try the candied bacon! with supervision of course-- i would mostly have the same outcome as you did ;) I'm sorry about some of the chaos you may be going through right now, you are on my mind & in my prayers. & What a beautiful couple you two are! -- on a less serious note, your top!! love love love.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girlfriend! I love it this top, got it from Forever 21...of course, but it totally shrank in the wash, bummer!! Thank you for the prayers my dear, it's definitely been a hectic start to the new year!

      Delete
  2. Wait -- Ben's leaving his company? What does this mean for you guys... what are your next steps, moving??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Kate's comment. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great hail and farewell. The informal kind are the best. I agree with what the CO's wife said, its not about being overly involved its about being supportive and loving to your husband!

    And that bacon looks aaaa-mazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bacon was seriously of the chain!!!! You've got to try it!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you got put with a great unit! It's always better to be sorry to leave than glad, I think. Can't wait to hear what's ahead for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree!! We'll still be here, he's just moving to a new unit on the base :)

      Delete
  6. I don't know about the candied bacon, but I am all over the puffs!
    Ha, it looks like a broken skate board in your pic
    We have quite a lot of those in our garage
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the food. They look so yummy. The candied bacon and French Breakfast Puffs. Good luck to the both of you.

    Milspouse

    ReplyDelete