Monday, October 07, 2013

fall foliage weekend

A few months ago at a bonfire, some friends and I were all talking about how much we were going to miss fall this year. That's when we discussed taking a weekend trip to Julian. Assured it was the best alternative to what was sure to be my first disappointing autumn, we did our best to plan a weekend full of fall goodness. The weekend finally came, and the second we turned onto Main Street in Julian, we were immediately in awe that this quaint town, was just down the road from sunny San Diego.
I am not the camping type. I'll do it, but I'd rather not. We stayed at a site just two miles from Main Street, that offered a retro atmosphere and a large area group area for tents. This trip didn't give me a miraculous epiphany that I actually love camping, but the company of friends made it well worth it.  
Saturday morning before we started our day, we had delicious, homemade sweet potato french toast cooked over an open fire thanks to our dear friend.
After breakfast, we headed into town for all our of fall festivities; from hayrides and pumpkin patches to cider making and apple picking.
And of course there was pie, lots of pie and a few stops at local wineries.
And check it out, even a few of the trees were changing colors! Not the easiest thing to find in Southern California.
This was just the fix I needed. Yesterday as we rolled back up to the coast towards our towering palms and felt the warm breeze coming off the ocean, we realized, we truly have the best of both worlds.

"To see God's hand in everything, makes life the greatest adventure of all."

16 comments:

  1. That sounds like a perfect weekend (minus the camping -- I agree with you!)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is right up my alley. I remember when Casey from the Starnes Family did a post on this area a couple of years ago :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! I am going to have to go back and check it out!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh! This looks like the perfect fall weekend!! I would have NEVER guessed this was anywhere near San Diego just looking at the pictures! LOVE the picture of you and Ben at the pumpkin patch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either when we first got out there. There were a few times that we all forgot we were even in California!

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh I grew up in Julian, such a great little town!! Seeing all your pictures makes me miss it so much. Apple Days and Fall are seriously the best time of the year. I hope you had a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would move there in a heartbeat...I love little mountain towns, the best kind of atmosphere and people!

      Delete
  5. This looks so fun, your pictures are great!! Apple picking is something I want to do so bad, but have yet to live in a place where it is possible. AK not really up on the apple farming :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not?! I can't imagine why! Even though I learned this weekend apples do need cold weather to grow, I am not sure farmers mean AK cold. ;)

      Delete
  6. Julian is such a magical place. Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All except the driving part of the trip. I had to pull over and let a friend drive. :)

      Delete
  7. Wow what a fun little city!! Looks like you had a great time

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fun time!! Way to get in the fall spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore Julian. Look forward to it all year! Might go back for Christmas this year. They get 4 seasons. Would love to walk mainstreet with snow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun weekend! Even the camping looks like it was a blast :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're living the dream, sweet girl....so happy to see you having fun and enjoying life. That's what life is all about!

    ReplyDelete