Friday, September 27, 2013

11 things I've learned in my 1st year of marriage

We've been married for a little over a year now, and as unconventional as our first year of marriage was, here are a few things I have learned:
  1. When your husband says he wants to sleep in but you don't want to waste a gorgeous morning, all you have to do is make breakfast and coffee and he'll wake up.
  2. After a pointless fight, hugging until your not mad anymore, works.
  3. Marriage is an adjustment, and it's okay if you are both a little overwhelmed at first.
  4. Just because your husband leaves for a few weeks, doesn't mean that he won't notice that you practically redecorated the house when he comes back.
  5. Contrary to popular belief, the kitchens primary purpose is for dancing.
  6. If you give your husband a hard time for leaving his debit card somewhere in public and not remembering where, Karma will get you back and you will leave your debit card somewhere two days later.
  7. It's okay if you aren't together all the time
  8. Avoiding talks about money is much worse than fighting about money.
  9. Go at your own pace. Just because society has a timeline for "the next steps" or how married people should act, doesn't mean you have to follow them.
  10. Your husband knows that when you're "indecisive" about dinner, you really just want pizza or Chinese take out.
  11. Going on a date is even more exciting now, because when you put all this effort into getting dressed up and spend the evening heavily flirting; it's a sure thing you're going to "get lucky" when you get home.

25 comments:

  1. What a great post! I'm a very newlywed lady [almost 3 weeks] and this list makes me happy! I 100% agree with the timeline thing, people need to back off and let US live our life! Sheeesh!

    I love going on date nights with my husband, they are so much more fun now :)!

    Happy Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear at first I thought I was going crazy, something was wrong with us, but if we're not ready, we're not ready!

      Delete
  2. This post made me smile! "Hugging it out" solves all fights...it's always just a challenge of who will stop being stubborn long enough to start the hug lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHA! Yes, and we are both very stubborn personalities!

      Delete
  3. Love this and I'm with you on timelines! So much pressure to keep up with the joneses! Ridonkulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must still be in the rebellious stage, b/c if it's keeping up with the Joneses, I want to do the exact opposite.

      Delete
  4. Totally love this. #4 is the best! And, your wedding photos? Perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My daddy took the ones for the first wedding and a friend for the second! We got super lucky with them!

      Delete
  5. Agree with #9!!! This is so cute! Love the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad so many people are with me on 9!

      Delete
  6. Agree with #9. Wrote a little about that topic :-) People that are my age (27) are married and have 2-3 kids. I have none, and that's fine (because I don't have baby fever and I'm not ready). People assumed that when my husband came back from deployment, I'd immediately be knocked up and start a family... uh no.

    Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I read that post...I COMPLETELY agree. Children are so far from my radar, I don't even consider them for "one day" yet. We are too selfish for them right now and want to do things for us before we're ready to settle down, if we're ever ready to settle down.

      Delete
  7. I love this :) Such good lessons gleaned from your first year. I laughed out loud at a few! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely first a foremost a year of learning!

      Delete
  8. okay...so i found your blog through a blog through a blog or something like that. i'm not sure. but i'm glad i did! i've been married for just over three years now and these friendly reminders are money. money in the bank. love reading more!

    karli
    http://farmerbell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Welcome!!!! Good to know these will carry on through the years to come!

      Delete
  9. Loved this!! A good reminder for me to just slow down and enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome post. I agree, your own timeline is so important. We've been married almost four years and don't have kids yet and it is almost rude the amount of times people ask about it! Hugging it out always seems to work and I am so with you on the really wanting chinese food versus cooking nights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People who continue to throw that question out to me have started getting some mouth dropping, I'm never asking you again answers. ;) We had a Chinese night the other night and it always hits the spot.

      Delete
  11. I shared this with my husband and he said that he thought it was almost creepy that every one of these applied to us. Great post!! Happy little over a year anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Glad you both got a kick out of it!!

      Delete
  12. Love this list :) Isn't being married fun?

    ReplyDelete
  13. 8 & 9 = YES!!! And it just keeps getting better chica. =)

    ReplyDelete