Monday, August 12, 2013

when the moon hits your eye...

...like a big pizza pie.

My momma bought B and I a pizza stone the other week and I have been itching to use it. After I saw a photo that my friend, McKenzie posted on Instagram of a homemade pizza, I immediately knew it was going to be the first pizza on the new stone.

I have never made homemade pizza dough. My girlfriend, Natalia, is a pro at it and planning to make her proud, I was excited to give it a shot! Let's just say my homemade dough ended up with me in meltdown mode. After a serious pouting in the bedroom and an episode of Orange is the New Black to cool off, my husband called our local pizza pub to ask if they sold pizza dough.
When they confirmed that they did, B practically bolted out the door (I get it, I was overreacting) and walked to the pub to pick it up. It brought my little pitiful spirits back up.
So it was semi-homemade, and I didn't really get the whole circle thing down using a glass cup to roll out the dough, but it was SO delicious! 
If you are interested in making this, and I highly recommend you do...

What You Will Need:
 1 cup of artichoke hearts
1 1/2 cups of spinach
1/2 cup of basil pesto
1 oz of pizza dough
1 cup of Mozzeralla cheese
1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place pizza on a lightly floured surface and roll out into a circle with a rolling pin (or a glass cup like I had to use). Move the pizza dough over to a pizza stone or pan.Evenly spread on the pesto. Top with artichoke hearts, spinach, and cheese. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
(Recipe found at two peas & their pod)

22 comments:

  1. I'm hungry now. We make homemade pizzas all the time. Brad makes his own dough and it's delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I am going to master homemade dough like Brad!

      Delete
  2. We are currently loving orange is the new black!!!! I swear the end of every episode sucks me in to watching another! Thank goodness the whole season is available!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, our whole group out here is addicted, we hate the we finished the entire season, we're so needing a new one!

      Delete
  3. Looks so GOOD! We do pizza at least once a week...Here is my super EASY no-rise thin crust dough, makes one pizza:

    1 pkt active dry yeast
    1/4 tsp granulated sugar
    3/4 cup warm water
    1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp salt

    Dissolve yeast and sugar in water; allow to rest for about 10 minutes.
    In a separate bowl combine flour and salt.
    Pour yeast mixture over flour mixture and mix well with a heavy spoon.
    Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for 2 minutes.
    Working from the edges to the center, press or roll dough into a 12" circle.
    Place dough on a lightly greased pizza pan or hot stone.
    Top with goodies.
    Bake in a 500 degree oven for 8-12 minutes, or until edges are golden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSSS! So perfect, I cannot wait to try this next time. Thank you!!!

      Delete
  4. Your throwing the pizza dough with such delight made me laugh!!! haha! If my crazy italian family has taught me anything it has been to make pizzas. My father in law has a great daugh recipe that he refuses to give me until I have a fourth baby....so I guess I won't be getting it any time soon. haha!!! But homemade pizzas are my favortie, semi homemade ever better...less clean up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear I have Italian in me. Or I want to so bad that I pretend I do, but either way I own it in any way I can!

      Get out those babies so I can learn to make a solid pizza dough ;)

      Delete
  5. Isn't it delish??? And don't worry. We make homemade pizza every friday night and about every other week my dough is a fail. Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you posted a photo of it! This is now one of my new favorite meals.

      Delete
  6. That looks delicious! I've never made homemade pizza before but I am definitely going to try now

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so good! I used to work at a restaurant that served a similar pizza, but the homemade shape of your pizza looks even better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pizza looks amazing! I will have to try that combination soon. We love making homemade pizza, but I have never tried to make the crust either. Your situation kind of reminds me of the time I attempted to make pie dough from scratch. I believe it ended with me throwing the dough across the kitchen, followed by cursing and tears, and then heading out to the store to buy premade crust. I haven't tried to make it since...ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such an awesome story! Okay so my meltdown was just a woman thing, phew! Thank goodness I am not the only one. I was about 3 seconds away from chucking it across the room. Cooking is my release so when it wasn't, that didn't fly with my nerves!

      Delete
  9. Ugh, I feel you! When recipes don't go as planned (despite following all the directions) I take it so personally and get so annoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks SO good! I make homemade pizza all the time because I'm g-free and there aren't many options. I never thought to do a spinach & artichoke pizza! Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE my pizza stone! Make sure you follow the instructions about having the stone preheat along WITH the oven, for gradual heating. Friends of mine cracked THREE pizza stones because they didn't read the instructions! Anyway, I use mine once a week and make my own dough. LOVE this recipe! http://katiekateskitchen.blogspot.com/2012/01/honey-wheat-pizza-dough-and-mushroom.html Also, spend $10 at Williams Sonoma and buy a brush for "cleaning". Soap and water are bad for the stone, but brushing off burned on "ish" is totally ok! Good luck!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks super yummy! And I can't tell you the number of meltdowns I've had over kitchen experiments. It's no fun. Good man for going and fixing it right away, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't worry Jordan. I can teach you my ways!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We LOVE our pizza stone and it has made homemade pizza one of my most favorite meals to make.

    ReplyDelete