Wednesday, July 17, 2013

the cheerios commercial debate


The other day I had a devotion in the book of Numbers. Zelophehad had five daughters and no sons. Now this is obviously a time where women were an oppressed gender. When Zelophehad passed, his daughters brought about a case to Moses that they should receive the inheritance their father left behind. When this case was brought before the Lord He declared, "What Zelophehad's daughters are saying is right. You must certainly give them property as an inheritance among their father's relatives and turn their father's inheritance over to them. (Numbers 27:7)" 

The purpose of the devotion was to explain that God created all of his children as equal and that He is not sexist. As with any piece of writing or art, people interpret The Word in many different ways; including myself. For me that story was taking it much further than just gender. God created every detail of us, our gender, our skin color, our personality, every piece of our being. He made us for His purpose and that purpose isn't to scrutinize His creation.

Some of our best friends are "mixed race couples." That phrase even makes me cringe. We don't look at our friends as a mixed race couple, they are just a couple, and people we call family.

I applaud General Mills for throwing an outdated stereotype out of the window and the parents who have taught these children that multicultural families aren't a political issue. When I have children, I hope to instill in them that we may not always agree with everyone's opinion or beliefs, but we will respect others and judge people based on their character, not their skin, religion, political, or sexual preference.

2 comments:

  1. love that commercial and the kids reactions -- gives me faith in the future and this next generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Jordan!! I loved that they made this commercial!! I have 3 "biracial" children and am half of a "mixed race" couple. Of course I hate the terminology people place on this. I don't see my kids as black or white. They are my children, they're teenagers, they're people. And my man is just that, a man! Not black. But a provider for his family who served his country proudly and is an amazing role model. Some people insist on labels to prove that they are seperate and they forget that everyone breathes and bleeds just like everyone else. When the only labels are really male and female.

    ReplyDelete