Thursday, July 25, 2013

a long time coming

Yesterday we talked about finding a job post military; today I want to talk to you about something equally as challenging. A while back Babette Maxwell wrote this (INCREDIBLE) article about common misconceptions many civilians have about military spouses and how many of us are actually very career driven.

I'm aware that employers aren't supposed to discriminate against military spouses, nor do I have to reveal this information, but they do and I prefer too. If a company is going to hire me, I think they deserve to know my situation prior. Believe me, I have interviewed enough to know their gears are turning and they are beginning to make assumptions, regardless of if you tell them or not. You're resume has you in 3 states in the last year, your husband's job "relocated," you live in a city that is largely military...military spouse?

But, after sending out hundreds of resumes, practicing persistence and patience (sometimes not so much patience); I have finally found that career move for me here in California! I couldn't be more excited! This is a company I know will challenge me and one I can grow with. So yes, we (military spouses) may not be around for as long as you would like to invest in someone, but we know that, and that means we have more to prove, and we work harder because of it.

It may have been a little naive of me, but this was a more challenging transition than I originally expected; moving out to California, becoming a wife, and trying to reestablish myself in the corporate world again, all within a few months. But God was testing me, giving me the opportunity to grow and become a stronger person. I see that now. As much as I fight with Him to take control (because I think I know what is best), the Lord continues to show His ways and timing are better and His rewards are greater than any expectation I have for myself. It's my biggest struggle and He knows it.

We celebrated with dinner at Lighthouse, an oyster bar and grill in the Oceanside Harbor with a exquisite view. Any time we're able to have dinner with a view of the sunset, we feel incredibly in awe of the beauty of the west coast.
 
 


PS. For those of you who are a fan of the headpiece, or those of you who want to wear it out of spite because your husband calls it a necklace on your head, you can make one for 5 bucks!

18 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job! Way to not give up, I think a lot of military spouses end up throwing in the towel because of rejection. Or they settle for a job on base that they may not particularly enjoy as much. I love the headpiece, I wore one and my husband said the same thing, " so you should buy a bigger necklace next time that way it fits over your head"

    http://pardonmf.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tempting to throw in the towel. It got to a point where my husband told me to just take a break for a bit. It actually was the best thing too, my attitude changed and I found a job less than a month later!

      Love that your husband said the same thing. Crazy men think alike. ;)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your new job! That headpiece is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Lady!!!! And you know I love that headpiece so hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GIRL, you know you need one! You're my headband twin.

      Delete
  4. YAY!!! Congrats! I know the feeling. I've been in the process of reinventing myself as I dealt both with coming off Active Duty myself, becoming a "dependent" wife, mother, moving cross-country TWICE in less than two years, etc, etc. Luckily for me, I decided within 2 months of coming off AD that I wanted to become a nurse and have been taking classes since. This time next year, not only will I have a SECOND bachelors degree, but I'll also be ready to embark upon a career I'm SUPER excited about in a field I love and in a profession that is very transient and compatible with moving around!! :-) Congrats again....can't wait to hear more about what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few friends that are nurses and Ben's mom is one as well. It takes a very special person to be a nurse, and I can tell that you're personally is perfect for it! Props to you for the second degree!!!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the new job!! :) This is really inspiring to me to KEEP pressing on in a couple of things that I am going through right now! THANK YOU so much for taking the time to share with us your persistence and to inspire me today!!
    :) Congrats again!!
    :) Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, you're comments are always so sweet! Keep that head up lady, and continue on!

      Delete
  6. Okay, so you know that I need to know where you're working, right?! So happy for and proud of you for going after your dreams, not giving up and for always keeping your independence... which I understand is a hard thing for a military spouse (according to my mil spouse friends).

    And, my friend (also a mil souse) just moved from the DC area to Oceanside. I know her husbands specific position and am wondering if your hubby would know him -- he's a commanding officer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy for you! And, I love the Oceanside harbor. Makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. CONGRATS!
    ALSO OHMYGOSH YOU LOOK SO UNBELIEVABLY GORGEOUS WITH THAT HEADPIECE.
    (sorry 'bout caps lock. but for real.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the new job! And I'm loving the outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay on a job! Good work! "those of you who want to wear it out of spite because your husband calls it a necklace on your head"...I'm sure that's not based on real life circumstances or anything ;) That's exactly the conversation that would happen in my house, though. I think you rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the new job! Relocating is always tough - so many big changes, but you are handling it with grace and style!

    ReplyDelete