Tuesday, June 25, 2013

rock on

One of my favorite basic studies courses in college was Geology. I barely scraped by passing that class with a C. By barely...I pretty much had a D the entire semester and somehow pulled out a passing grade on my final. A few days ago my brother and I headed up to Lake Norman State Park for Geology project he was working on.
Did you know that 26 of the 50 states have a state rock? It's one of the random pieces of knowledge I remember from my geology class that I will probably never use, so I am going to use it here on my blog. Yep, the state rock of North Carolina is Granite and you will find it everywhere. Granite is an indigenous rock, meaning they are volcanic. My elementary explanation, Granite consists of feldspar, quartz, and mica. If you look closely, you will be able to see all these minerals. Mica is one of my favorite minerals because you can pull it apart like a flaky biscuit.
During my science lesson we saw this little guy hopping down the bank.
Isn't he the CUTEST little thing!!!!!!!
There are so many different types of granite giving each rock a unique color variation. Keeping up with Geology when it started getting that complex, is when things started going downhill for me in the course. But for all you North Carolinians, whenever you see these around, now you know that they are!

4 comments:

  1. Very cool! I've never been up to Lake Norman State Park!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been here either! Shame on ME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O... M... G... That frog is SO tiny, how did you even see it?!?!? Adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete