Monday, June 03, 2013

New South Flavors

One of my favorite restaurantsTupelo Honey, is coming to my hometown of Charlotte. I was over the moon excited when I heard about this until I remembered I live across the country. Realizing that it will probably be a few more years until I have Tupelo Honey again, I tracked down their Goat Cheese Grits recipe.

Grits in southern California are far and few between, so much so that I had to ask someone at the grocery store if they even stocked them. They did. One box. Not to mention, I asked the loudest associate who felt she needed to inform the entire store what I was looking for when she yelled, "GRIIIIIIITS, YOU WANT GRIIIIIIIITS? Haven't heard someone ask for those in a while! Where are you from?"
What you need:
(Serving Size - 4)
3 cups of water
1 cup of quick-cooking grits
1 tsp - salt
1 Tbsp - unsalted butter
2 Tbsp - heaving whipping cream
4 oz of Goat Cheese
Basil (for garnish)

In a pan bring 3 cups of water and salt to a boil over high heat. Stir in grits and butter and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, add cream and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until grits are thick and creamy. Remove pan from the burner and whisk 4 oz of goat cheese into the grits until completely blended.

It's been a snowball effect since having their goat cheese grits and now I am craving their homemade biscuits, blackened catfish, and chocolate pecan pie. But while I won't be able to enjoy dining in at Tupelo Honey in the near future, they do have a Tupelo Honey Cafe Cookbook that I can't wait to get my hand on and indulge in their deliciousness even 3,000 miles away.
 

7 comments:

  1. Let's reunite in Charlotte one day soon and satisfy all our southern cravings. Please? Grits, sweet tea, boj biscuits, and north carolina BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not heard TH was coming here? To Uptown?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, in South End! http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/05/08/4029849/tupelo-honey-cafe-to-open-in-south.html

      Delete
  3. Oh...that is a sad thing that grits are hard to find there. When my sister moved to Ohio, we had to mail her grits (and green peanuts to make boiled peanuts!). I have never heard of Goat Cheese Grits, but this sounds fantastic! I might have to try it instead of my typical cheese grits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never had trouble finding them in the commissary... Right near the oatmeal. Gotta keep my shrimp n grits cravings under control. But all those tasty dishes you mentioned makes me think I need that cook book too! Holler if you need more grits...I'd be happy to mail some! :-) Oh...and I also just discovered a FABULOUS Carolina BBQ recipe. Super easy. Crock pot. Right down to smelling funny while cooking but mouth-watering while you're eating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so excited when I heard this but at the same time one of my fave things about going to Asheville was TH. So I am going to boycott the Charlotte one and pretend it does not exist. There is a whole TH cook book too don't ya know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! definitely adding this to my list of to-makes. i've been on a huuuge grits kick that's lasted about 6 months now! can't wait for THC to make its queen city debut!

    ReplyDelete