Friday, May 03, 2013

two night stand

I've used the same bedroom furniture since the 4th grade and up until the point of getting married I only needed one nightstand. The first week we were in California I found  this old step ladder at an antique store and had to snatch it up. Eventually, B and I will treat ourselves to a nice bedroom set and this ladder will most likely become an outdoor plant stand, but for now, it's a piece that adds some fun character to our master bedroom.

Our guest bedroom has been my last priority until one of my best friends spontaneously booked a flight to visit later this month. I've been keeping an eye out for a side table for the guest bed for months, but I have not found anything I've liked within a reasonable price range. Then, I saw this crate bookshelf on Pinterest and I figured why not tweak this idea and make a side table from two crates ($12 at Michaels). I used 6 screws to connect the two crates and stained them in Early American by MinWax (best stain color ever by the way) and sealed it. 
On a side note: My mom has always been big on sending postcards wherever we travel. When she was last here, she gave me the idea of having postcards in the guest bedroom. I have them stamped and everything, so guests can write a little "wish you were here" note to someone back home and drop them off in the mail.
I love the way this turned out so much that I am thinking of making an entire shelving unit for our dining area...keep y'all posted!

Have a happy weekend!

8 comments:

  1. I love those night stands! They totally add character to a room... Great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your crate nightstand!! We don't have matching nightstands in our bedroom and that seems like an inexpensive and super nice idea. Also - I LOVE love love your postcard idea. Who doesn't like receiving fun mail??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your nightstands... and the Nicholas Sparks books in the crate one. The postcards idea is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the arsenal of Nick Sparks books :) love them too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the nightstands and the postcard idea! So unique!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both those stands are super cute!! Very creative. And I love that postcard idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the postcard idea!! I may steal it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! I have some of those crates in a closet (used to use them as a stereo stand)....looks like they have a new purpose now! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete