Friday, May 24, 2013

overcoming fears

It's no secret for those who know me, before we moved out here I was TERRIFIED to drive in California. I mean seriously, two lane highways people, that's where I come from! I heard all these crazy stories of speeders, short merging lanes, and highways that would get you lost for days. When we first arrived, all of my fears were confirmed. I mean you could seriously fly off of a mountain due to the lack of guard rails! It's taken me a few months, but I have finally learned the ways of the road, weaving in and out of traffic because the term 'slower traffic keep right' doesn't apply here and those missing guard rails, you don't even notice them anymore. And while I started feeling all confident about driving here, in the back of my head I knew I needed to personally conquer Los Angeles.
image
That is a scary looking highway! (Too bad the roads are never this empty.) So to avoid all that, my game plan was to just have B drive anywhere north of Newport Beach. Guess what though...

I DID IT! I drove up to LA on my own! And when we were hiking, I must have looked like I knew where I was going or something, you know since I'm a veteran Hollywood hiker, because people were asking me left and right for directions. It made me feel excited and a little more local to Southern Cal. Then the word y'all slipped out of my mouth, and they knew.

Yay for life's little accomplishments!

5 comments:

  1. Though I do not live there now I was terrified of driving in LA. I lived there for a bit after I graduated from college. But A bit was just a short time because you have to know how to drive to go anywhere in Southern Ca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LA is so scary, we've been in SoCal for 2 years now and we still hate driving in LA. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned how to drive in DC, so LA really didn't bother me. But I'd still rather have P drive! :-) How'd the mint juleps turn out?!? HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY (and good for you for teaching those Left Coasters "y'all"!!!) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try learning how to drive on those freeways... talk about shitting your pants as a 15 year old with a learners permit. Haha!! Anything a man can do, you can do better -- get it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I drove out there for the first time after I graduated college and was literally shaking while driving on the freeway. Intimidating for sure!

    ReplyDelete