Friday, May 31, 2013

little squares of lemon heaven

We joke the only things that are cheap in California are avocados and sunshine. Well for our friends, they can add lemons to that list. A nearby neighbor of theirs has deliciously plump lemon trees in his front yard that they can pick from every so often. A few weekends ago, our husbands went a little wild on their last lemon picking adventure, leaving us with more lemons than we knew what to do with! Natalia made lemon squares from a family recipe with her batch of lemons and blogged about it here. Never really having been fan of lemon squares, after seeing photos on her blog, I started craving them instantly.

The next time we were at their house, I pretty much ate whatever was left from of lemon squares. No joke, B and I have zero control when Natalia and her husband feed us.

I wanted to try the recipe out for myself. 
My first attempt was a fail, because half way through the recipe I realized I didn't have any sugar. I did have Splenda however and figured since the substitution works for many other things, maybe it would work for this. WRONG! The lemon filing consistency was all wrong. So on the next trip to the grocery store I picked up sugar and tried the recipe again.
Delicious for a summer treat, like when you're going to a BBQ and need to bring a dessert! You can find her recipe here. Now if you don't mind I'm about to cut a piece for breakfast.

7 comments:

  1. Those look delish! And they definitely sound perfect for a summer cookout :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! I love lemon bars but I have never made them myself, well excpet from a box ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I LOVE lemon desserts, I'll always eat them over chocolate any day! My mom sends us large priority boxes full of lemons from her trees so I can have California lemons here in the PNW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm! I need to try these :) Lemon is one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. May have just drooled on my keyboard... woops!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the shout out Jordan! Pizza cooking class will be next!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! This sounds incredible! I'm definitely going to try them!
    I made lemon bread that was AMAZING last month! I'm totally on a lemon treat kick right now, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete