Thursday, May 23, 2013

a piece of advice

Last night my aunt called asking if I would write a letter to my cousin for a project they are working on in school. Each student is creating a time capsule for themselves to open up when they graduate from high school. When I was in 7th grade, we did something similar to the time capsule; we wrote ourselves a letter that our teacher mailed to us on our prospective graduation year. (I grew up in a town where you lived where you live forever, addresses didn't change much.) It was a cool experience to get those letters; seeing how much we had grown since then and how much growing we still had to do. It got me thinking about life stages and one piece of advice I gave her...

"Promise me one thing though, you do not allow high school to be your "golden years.” In addition, do not allow college to be your golden years either. Keep your eye on the bigger picture, but enjoy where you are in the moment. Allow yourself to love and grow in each phase of your life and allow yourself to move past each phase of your life once it has ended." 

I'd love to share my entire letter, which included everything from God to boys and country music, but just in case this blog is still going strong when she is 18 (HA!), I want her to have that moment for herself, at graduation. This piece of advice was a part of my life that I personally struggled with. It took me years to accept that there is nothing wrong with letting yourself move on, even when others don't. I think in the past 6 years I have bounced around so much (Charlotte, Greensboro, Wilmington, Charlotte, Virginia, California), it's made those life chapters and experiences more visually obvious.

But when I moved to Virginia, I remember telling my mom that I finally accept looking at my past stages with conclusion and contentment, and I never want to allow myself to hold onto any piece of my past with anything but nostalgia. I've made mistakes and I've made memories, but those chapters are exactly where they should be in my book, already written, read, and turned.


What is one piece of advice you would give your child or loved one for the future if you could?

[images via Pinterest]

5 comments:

  1. I really love that sentiment. Yesterday I turned the page today. I look back just to remember the good times, but I focus on today. :)

    http://mary-anderingcreatively.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that idea and already do something similar. Every year on my birthday I write a letter to myself to open on my next birthday. It has been wonderful to see how my wishes and hopes have changed over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will tell my son to LIVE! ... Live life. Don't settle. Don't stand still for too long. Embrace change. Grow. Take chances. Don't work too hard when you're young. Date. Have your heart broken. Break hearts. Travel. Always know where home is and that you're parents love you. Enjoy. Be kind. Be humble. Be confident. HAVE FUN! ... Once he's matured... Settle down. Love your wife. Give me grand children :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I just love this post, so much. That advice is SO important, and a really hard one to accept, especially in the moment. I would definitely say to live each moment to it's fullest, and to stop worrying about things you can't change about yesterday or things that might happen in the future and to just really enjoy TODAY as much as is humanly possible! Life is so short and really sweet, if you just let it be. :) p.s. loving your blog, girl <3

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always say "do what you love" because life is too short being miserable or wishing you had done something different. I'm so thankful my parents supported my wild ideas to become an archaeologist and work in museums!

    ReplyDelete