Thursday, April 18, 2013

my love language

Last Friday B and I attended the 5 Love Languages marriage enrichment course hosted by the United States Marine Corps. I am such a advocate for these kind of programs and appreciate that my husband's unit encourages military to attend by creating them into date nights.
The 5 Love Languages has been around for quite some time now and it's become quite a useful tool for better understanding how you love and how the ones you love, love.

For me, it was an even tie between receiving gifts and quality time. B was overwhelmingly quality time with acts of service as his second. Of the 80 people at the event, I was one of 3 that had gifts as their top. To me, I believe people have a misconception of this love language, seeing it often as being materialistic.

Receiving Gifts...

..is a $5.00 bunch of flowers from the Field of Flowers.

...pulling over on the side of the road to pick up a tumbleweed because I wanted to use it for decorating.

...surprising me with an Izze from Starbucks.

 ...a going away goodie basket of all things Carolina.

...love letters from your cousin.

My love languages are written all over this blog, but this evening still sticks out most to me.

Do you know your love language? If you haven't taken the quiz to determine if your love language is words of affirmationacts of servicereceiving giftsquality time, or physical touch, I would recommend it!

13 comments:

  1. I need to go take the quiz. Pretty sure gifts isn't mine. I bet it's affirmation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine is acts of service. I absolutely love that book. They are coming out with a military specific one in September and it is already pre-ordered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you on receiving gifts. The small things are always the best, and mean the most!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so interesting to see how they play out once you find out yours/your husbands love language. Rob and I took the quiz and once we got our results we were like "oh duh! of course!" Thinking about showing Rob love in a language he understands always plays in the back of my mind now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! The military edition is coming out soon and I cannot wait to read it! My top love languages are quality time, words of affirmation, and physical touch... two of which are difficult to maintain when we live separately and/or when one person is deployed. I am excited to read the advice for military couples.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I are reading this together. I love that it makes us open up and talk about thing we would not necessarily do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girlfriend, we share the same love language! I agree that there is a misconception for this one. Sometimes, it's just knowing that your partner took the time to think about you when you weren't with him that means the most. I love when my hubby leaves me a little post-it note that says "I love you" or something similar some mornings before work... it's just that thoughtfulness that gets me! Quality time is my second love language. That book is the BEST, we both love it too! Thanks, Marine Corps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My two languages are gifts and quality time also! I always worry about people seeing that as materialistic so I'm glad you cleared that up! Nothing extravagant, just small, thoughtful, personal items to keep and physically hold on to / see and remember :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have the same 2 love languages :) Its the little gifts, a picked flower, a surprise bottle of wine, a redbox rental and the quality time, my favorite recently was him wanting to go for a run with me and a to whole foods afterwards for healthy food shopping, he wanted to go with me! and even better was he had funnn! ;)

    We took this quiz a lonnnnggg time ago, in High school I believe & it has helped to shape and mold our relationship. Its wonderful to know your love language as well as your partners....Chris' is physical touch... surprise surprise.. haha
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this book :) It helped my husband and I get over a bumpy patch and understand each other much better. I can't wait for the military edition to come out! I'm also reading a book of his called "Love As A Way Of Life".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mine is Physical Touch, so is my husband's love language. If I was to rank them one through five, mine are in the same order.. the EXACT same as my husband's

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never taken that quiz or read the book but I think one of my top ones would be gifts as well!! I am the same way if you just give me something so small to let me know you were thinking of me it makes my day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I believe that people have separate giving and receiving love languages. For example, my mom's Giving Love Language is gift giving, but her Receiving one is Quality time. I think I know mine okay, but I'm still working on SoldierMan's. :)

    ReplyDelete