Thursday, April 11, 2013

Coconut Curry Chicken

When I lived in Charlotte, Blue Taj was my personal food addiction. I am really picky when it comes to Indian cuisine and have yet to find a comparable restaurant out here in San Diego. My super easy recipe for coconut curry chicken does the trick for my Indian cuisine cravings until I get my next Blue Taj fix. The great thing about this recipe is most of the items are probably in your kitchen already.
What you need:
4 chicken breasts
1 white onion, chopped
3 tbsp of minced garlic
1 tbsp dried basil
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 can of coconut milk (we use reduced fat)
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp red pepper flakes
3 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp cornstarch

Mix curry powder, red pepper flakes, and if you wish salt and pepper in a bowl. 
Cut chicken into pieces and add to the mixture. Mix well until all the pieces of chicken are coated.

In a large skillet heat EVOO. Add the white onion to the hot skillet and cook until the onion becomes translucent. On a medium heat, add garlic and basil and stir for about 30 seconds. Add the chicken and cook for 7 minutes (or longer if needed). 
In a bowl, add coconut milk, cornstarch, and chicken broth and mix until blended together. Add mixture to the skillet and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer for 7 minutes.

Serve over basmati rice, cook according to bag instructions.
I start cooking the rice just before the chicken, they finish at the same time. 
Yummy, yummy, yummy! Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I've never tried indian food but this looks like a good intro dish to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree, good Indian cuisine is hard to find. What I learned is there is a stark difference between Northern and Southern Indian food, so when looking for a place it's important to know which region you prefer. For example, I love lamb khorma from this little cart downtown, but any lamb khorma I ordered in a restaurant was not the same - different seasonings and/or complete lack of golden raisins. Finally someone filled me in on that little region detail and it's made all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delish!

    How spicy is it? In my opinion , the hotter the better, but my husband does not like spicy food.

    ReplyDelete