Tuesday, March 26, 2013

FREE MONEY!!!

Military Spouses whose servicemen are the pay grads of E-1 to E-5, W-1 to W-2, or O-1 to O-2...

Did you know that you are eligible for $4,000 for continuing education [$2,000 annually] for free? It's literally waiting for you, right now.

HOW FREAKING COOL IS THAT!

If you are like me, you're new to finding out about this program. I never heard about MyCAA until a friend told me she was considering using it. And when I asked my husband why he had never told me about it, he had never heard about it either. (I blame his lack of knowledge about MyCAA on selective hearing, but we'll never know for sure.) His first introduction into the program was me telling him that I signed up for a certification program at the University of Alabama while he was on a field exercise.

That's the best thing about this...it has nothing to do with your spouse, it's 100% for you and you take complete control and initiative over your education plan. Well, you do have to be registered in DEERS first to receive your financial aid, so you'll need them for that part of the process if you aren't.

I believe it's so important that we continue to reach towards our dreams and goals in life in addition to supporting our spouses. We are not hindered by the fact that we are living a unique lifestyle, and we need to break that stereotype that we aren't hireable or marketable because we move around. 

And the fact that the government is handing us the resources to better ourselves and grow, we would be crazy not to take advantage of them. This program can be cut at any moment and with the generous military cuts we are currently experiencing, I have a feeling it's going to be on the cutting block soon. 

So... GO NOW and research about MyCAA now, create an account and see if there is a program you are interested in. It's worth the time if you've got it!


*[Learn more about the program here.]

4 comments:

  1. This is such a great benefit! If you don't mind me asking, what program are you doing? I definitely wanted to take advantage but having already gone to school I was curious to programs I could still complete!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I wish I had known about this before hubby pinned on as captain!! I would have loved to take some classes outside of my degree (I'm a total nerd like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And THAT'S "ROLL TIDE!" Unfortunately, Aaron was an E6 when we got married and even though I don't have a degree, do not qualify. I have felt strongly there should be some adjustments to the program buuuut all that's happened is the available aid and programs have decreased since it was introduced in 2010. But I am glad it is out there and I tell all new spouses about it. If I can't use it, then I hope everyone who can, does!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might want to double check that with the recent changes to military tuition assistance this hasn't been cancelled as well. Also, from my experience you are only qualified if you are going for anything at the associates level or below. If you are going for your bachelors or above you do not qualify. It's kind of a pain in the tuckus.

    ReplyDelete