Monday, February 11, 2013

3 minute breakfast

Breakfast is one of my favorite meals of the day, but during the week I tend to get a little lazy. I don't want to mess with the clean up, I only have a few minutes before I need to run out of the door, so many times I end up skipping breakfast all together. That was until I started whipping together this easy sunny breakfast...
I halved an avocado and placed both halves into a bowl. Afterwards I mashed the avocado together with about 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, salt, and pepper. After toasting a piece of wheat bread, I spread the avocado on the toast drizzled with a small amount of evoo (optional) and for an extra crunch I added alfalfa sprouts that I grew myself, also optional.
Then, you need to add the protein, obviously.
I always picked at my friends that would microwave scrambled eggs, but after seeing how to microwave a poached egg on Pinterest, I had to give the microwave a try. That and I have never really mastered poaching an egg, and I am always up for a short cut. Not to mention is minimizes clean up.
Add the cracked egg, 1/3 cup of water, and 1/2 teaspoon into a microwave bow. Cover the bowl with a plate and cook for 60 seconds. For more detailed instructions and additional notes on how to properly do this, check here at the Kitchn!
Remove the egg with a slotted spoon, wait for water to drain off and place on top of the toast and avocado.
Season with salt and pepper and dig in!
Overall it's a pretty healthy meal that keeps me feeling full until lunch!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - that's awesome! I love poached eggs but I cannot make them for the life of me! I'm gonna have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds pretty yummy, never knew you could poach an egg in the microwave.

    YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I ate poached eggs, I would absolutely do this, but runny yokes creep me out :)Still very impressed, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been meaning to learn how to poach an egg... My momma's favorite and now mine! Thanks for the tip! I love breakfast more than ice cream and candy... so I'm with you on this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When running late to work I cook eggs in the microwave all the time. I crack one egg in a ramekin, break the yolk, add S&P and then cover with plastic wrap. Cook on high 45 secs and it is fully cooked and similar to that of an egg mcmuffin. Soo easy and so good. And I would eat avocado with anything so going to have to try this. YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete