Friday, November 09, 2012

tatted up

I always told myself that I have never loved anything long enough, besides Peter Pan, to get a tattoo of it. I even said it on Pinterest once. Throughout my childhood cliche fairy tales of princesses meeting their prince were never my favorite stories. While I'm a fan of anything classic Disney, I was mostly drawn to movies like Alice in Wonderland, Sword in the Stone, and of course Peter Pan, stories that were a little quirky, unorthodox, and borderline dysfunctional. In particular, my heart was always drawn to the character of Tinkerbell. I see a lot of my personality in her; she would generally rather hangout with the guys, sassy, constantly curious, and adventurous. A few years after my Peter Pan infatuation began, my grandmother purchased the Peter Pan novel for me. While it took me almost the entire summer to read, it only developed my love for the story that much more, and everyone who knows me knows it. When I'm sick the Peter Pan movies are imperative to reestablishing my health and I still own a Tinkerbell pillowcase that my mom got me my freshman year of college.

With all of that in mind, rewinding back to All Hallows Eve, I walked into TLA Tattoo Studio in Occoquan, Virginia for my very first (and probably only) tattoo.
To be completely honest I have not idea how I was smiling afterwards. Getting a tattoo hurts like a bitch! Pardon my french, but people the who say it doesn't hurt that bad are crazy and surely made of steel. I didn't cry though. That seems to be everyone's first question to me. But the reality is, it was beyond tears painful. I am certain that the only reason I was able to finish is because you literally HAVE to once you start. In the end though, it was 100% worth it.
In the Peter Pan novel there is a quote that says "To die will be an awfully big adventure." The writers of the movie Hook added,"To live would be an awfully big adventure." To me, this simply means, everyone dies, but not everyone lives. This is more than a quote to me. This tattoo represents such a large portion of my outlook on life, it represents growing up while still maintaining your youth, it represents the past chapters, and it represents the chapters that are to come.

17 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful, Jordan!! I also have a tattoo on my ribs {same side as yours!} and it hurt like hell to get!!! They're completely worth it though :) I have 4 and still want to add to my "collection"! But then I remember the pain... Haha

    Southern Living, Our Way {www.alexaandglenn.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you are right, tattoos hurt but you just go through with the pain as you can't stop in the middle! Your tattoo is really pretty. You know, when you have one - you propably want more! I want few more even I have only one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure it hurt but I give it maybe a month before you decide you eventually want to get another one. They are strangely addicting! Yours is beautiful and I absolutely love scripts for tattoos. Beautifully chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl! LOVE IT! you went all out for your first tat! (mine was a little star (it represents something) on the wrist, and I kept asking the artist to make it smaller and smaller until he told me it would be nearly impossible to tattoo at that small size!)

    My second tat covers L-side rib cage ... one of the most painful places, so kudos to you for getting it on the first. The rest will be a breeze :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I was just browsing the tattoo page on Pinterest last night (I'm still contemplating the whole thing, hubs doesn't want me to get one, but I really want one..lol)...and I thought of you! the tat looks great and I am in love with the meaning. Beautifully chosen.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That location (on the ribcage) is considered the most painful location for tats. So, bravo for being such a trooper. Oh, and I LOVE the tattoo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I already have two tattoos, but I am thinking about a third on my rib cage. I have heard that it is the most painful place to get one. I love the quote and the placement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this quote! My friend designed her tattoo with a pirate ship on water with this quote around it. Beautiful! Yes, rib cages, wrists, and top of the feet (where mine is) hurt like no one's business. So worth it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very wise choice for a tattoo. I love it. You chose a pretty painful spot, but you're such a trooper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous!!! My inner Disney nerd approves and loves your choice of movies! The Sword in the Stone is one of my favorites. It came out really great. They do hurt like heck but the ribs is one of the most painful places to get them (or so I've heard) but they can get addicting regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this! I've been wanting a ribcage tattoo forever, but it's got to be super important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome! I just got my first tattoo back at the end of September.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it!!! That is a great quotation:)

    ReplyDelete