Monday, August 27, 2012

adjusting

I'm afraid that I may be enjoying this break off from working a little too much. This past week, the boys were all out in the field so I was able to cross off a few things from the "to do" list. Meaning...I finally purchased my wedding dress, caught up on wedding planning, and a friend even surprised me with a trip to charming CHARLIE!!!!! It was my first time and good gracious it's an accessories mecca.
I also took my very first, three night, L.I.N.K.S session last week. Aka, Military Spouse 101, or that's what it felt like. It really was a helpful class, I cannot imagine navigating this lifestyle without having taken it. Simply taking the class made me feel so much more comfortable on base, with protocol, and everything in between.
I did get lovey back for a Friday evening date night with my grandparents during their stop into town. They took us to one of my favorite places to dine in the Northern Virginia area, Coastal Flats, which is one of the many fabulous restaurants in The Great American Restaurant chain. 
And for Northern Virginia not being the south, this place has the best shrimp and grits you will ever have!

(Side note: Seriously almost no where has sweet tea....Hellooooooo I thought we were still below the Mason-Dixon? Sign #1 that I am in the North.)

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely weekend! Glad you were able to explore and have fun while also being ever so productive! PS- I've been to Charming Charlie and it posed danger on my wallet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! Don't ever go to New England then! If you ask for tea you're gonna get hot tea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charming Charlie is the best store everrrr!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No no no........it IS still the South.....there are just two many Yanks there to make you realize it!!! :-) Seriously though, when you have time, take a little side trip down to Hampton Roads (VA Beach, Norfolk, etc) and you'll feel more Southern down there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in Virgina Beach, and you seriously can't find real sweet tea anywhere!! it's so sad because my hubby still orders it everywhere we go, mostly out of habit and partially out of a hope that it will actually taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the wedding purchase!
    that's a big deal
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  7. In Va Beach where I waitress we always ask sweet or unsweet tea and people look at me like I've lost it. Apparently there is only one type of tea.

    And can you explain the shrimp and grits thing to me? Every restaurant menu I've looked at trying to plan my Charleston trip seems to have it and I don't understand how that is a good combo at all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being from the north, I have never considered Virginia to be north. At all. It's always been south to me, so it's funny that you consider it north! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm from VA, and I definitely consider it to be southern, but northern VA is like a totally different world! It's definitely more northern than Southern! Those shrimp and grits look yummy, though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those shrimp and grits look good

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for Charming Charlie! Love that place! Also, saw your FB post about Socal style. You've inspired me to write a blog post about it :) I'll get on that and give you the details! XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of your posts make me hungry. Seriously. Hoping you continue to adjust and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Date #2 and I went to Coastal Flats on Saturday and Chelsea from Life is a Sunset and I went there way back when too. Yummy place. The absence of true sweet tea is one thing I dislike about being in this southern state with Yankee dominance.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad that you're adjusting to live in DC/NoVA well. Like you I suffered from lack of sweet tea/southern food. Two of my favorites that fit the need for good food like home - Founding Farmers http://www.wearefoundingfarmers.com/ and Georgia Browns http://gbrowns.com/. They're fund for date nights and are always PACKED so I would suggest reservations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So fun! And you'd flourish anywhere you go. Charming Charlie's is my FAVORITE!!! Its like accessory heaven.

    ReplyDelete