Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Independence!

HEY Y'ALL!!!!!!!!!
My FAVORITE, FAVORITE, FAVORITE holiday is here! At first I was a little bitter that the holiday landed smack in the middle of the week. But everyone is getting all confused on when to celebrate so it's causing for celebration the weekend before, the day of, and the weekend after -- LOVE IT!
To kick off my week long celebration, friends from work had a backyard cookout/pool party the past weekend.
Kari and Ben have a big backyard, so puppies were welcome to the party. I had mistaken them for party favors, but was quickly corrected after trying to sneak out with my very own Frenchie.

The hosts supplied burgers, refreshments, and dessert, so each guest brought over a side dish. With temperatures reaching over 100, I wanted to bring something light and fresh.
American Flag Kabobs
What you will need:
46 pieces of strawberries, 46 slices of bananas, 42 blueberries, 13 skewers 
Before you assemble, soak the bananas in orange juice for a few minutes to slow down the oxidation process.
Drain in a colander. Assemble.

This evening, I am heading up I-95 and spending a few days with my family and husband just outside of our Nation's Capital. If you haven't already, check me out over at The Homefront United Network and see my festive red, white, and blue picks. Wishing you all have a wonderfully, patriotic holiday!

14 comments:

  1. Love the fruit flag! Happy 4th of July! and I hope you have a wonderful visit with your family and hubby.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also LOVE the 4th of July. I want to make something like those fruit kabobs for our next party. Happy 4th of July (a day early) =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just as you are coming here we will be passing you in the other direction and going to NC! Have a safe trip and have fun up here : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Kabobs look great!! ;) Personally, I'm a fan of the eating more than the cooking -- but boy, barbeques are my favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun in DC! Hopefully you get to see the fireworks on the mall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the kabob idea
    i know husband is having a hard time dealing with this middle of the week holiday. lol
    we are headed to DC in a few weeks as well.
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to steal the Frenchie! He's super cute! And those kabobs look heavenly! Looks like so much fun! Have a safe trip to VA.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just happened across your blog and absolutely love it! I'm a fellow Southern girl- from Texas and going to school in Alabama. Count me as your newest follower!

    Cheers, Elizabeth @ The Corner Apartment

    ReplyDelete
  9. All that food looks delicious !! Enjoy the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a happy day! Can't wait to get those burgers and hot dogs going when the family gets here. The fruit flag looks fantastic and healthy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that america flag kabobs look delicious

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the breakdown on the amount of fruit! Absolutely love this healthy and fun idea for the fourth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a fun BBQ, cute side dish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those american flag kabobs are the cutest! I was looking for a cute american flag alternative to the typical fruit pizza bit...this is much healthier and SO cute. :) Happy belated 4th!

    ReplyDelete