Monday, July 09, 2012

drunk on you...

...and high on summertime. -Luke Bryan

Living apart this past year, lovey and I have used just about every mode of transportation to visit one another. Most recently I tested out the train because we were able to get the tickets for less than gas. B assured me I was stepping onto the Polar Express, but it surely was NOT. Luckily, I was seated at a table with a fellow Marine wife and her children whose husband is currently stationed at the Pentagon. I was able to pick her brain for a few hours and learn about all the different places they had been stationed. But, to be completely honest, the train is not my favorite form of transportation. However, if it means enjoying a weekend like this, I can bare it. 
With the above normal temperatures, we were highly advised to stay indoors but naturally we did the exact opposite. We filled the weekend with a cookout and fireworks at my aunt and uncles house, took rides on my husband's new Harley Davidson, headed up to 8th and I for the evening parade, and kayaked in Occoquan. Summertime at its finest, my friends.

12 comments:

  1. well, I'm glad you survived the train. I rode on one down to florida for a trip once, prolly won't do it again...lol

    But your weekend looked amazing :) LOVE the new bike! my hubby is dying for a Harley, I showed him the pic and he was like, "see! I need one too!" haha, oh goodness!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we were stationed at Fort Drum, I took the train from Syracuse to NYC. When I came back, there was a bullet hole in my car from where there was some standoff at the train station. Pretty sure my train-riding days are over! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kayaking is SOOO fun!!! and you look adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the parades at 8th & I! I still remember when Lee Greenwood came to sing his famous "Proud to be an American" once when I was there watching the Silent Drill Team perform! :-) We're getting ready to move to Manassas, so perhaps a meet up is in order?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like yall had a great time! I am having to be away from my honey aswell so I can finnish school for the next 2 months. It's really hard, but we manage. I love Luke Bryan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous weekend! I totally remember our year apart thanks to OCS, TBS, MOS school, etc. I would fly up from FL to visit Kurt as often as possible. The separation wasn't ideal but we have some of the best memories from those times! I never took the train but what a great story you'll have to tell when you're older :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww. LOVE the pictures. SO envious of your sweet family time. Once you get into a "normal" routine and have time to spare, let me know so we can grab tea or coffee or a drink or something when you're in this area again. I know every chance you get with hubs is precious. xo <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I often take the train from Ottawa to Toronto (4-5 hours) and we do not have tables. haha seating is like an airplane really, rows of 2 seats on each side. I don't mind it at all but flying will always win over if pricing is comparable!
    Looks like you had a fun holiday! Kayaking looks so much fun, especially when you have great summer weather like you had!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like so much fun! We've been looking for canoeing areas around here recently, but rentals seem to be high. Love your big pony in that pic too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! You have the best weekends! I've never taken a train, though we've considered it. So far none of our destinations have made it worth the time vs the cost to drive or fly. One day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a fun weekend
    i still can't believe how hot it has been here in charlotte
    looks today might bring a reprieve!
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun pictures! I love your white Chucks :) xo

    ReplyDelete