Monday, June 25, 2012

French Toast Casserole

This is how we do Saturday. 
Working 8-5, Monday through Friday leaves little room to take it slow during the week. So on our free Saturdays, we enjoy sleeping in and taking it slow. If B is here, I always wake up a couple hours before he does (I am not a sleep in kind of person), make myself a cup of tea and read a magazine. 
After a bit of quiet time, I put the coffee on and take the better half of the morning preparing a yummy breakfast for us. I think I get this little routine from my Mimi. When we would visit in the summers my Mimi would have bacon cooking, be reading the paper and drinking coffee early in the mornings when I walked into the kitchen, sleepy-eyed. To this day when we visit she always has a nice breakfast spread made up for us on the weekends.
 This past Saturday I tried my hand at a french toast casserole. 
What you will need: 
[for the casserole]
1 loaf of Bread (I opted for Brown Sugar Cinnamon for a little extra yummy)
6 eggs
2 cups milk
4 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
[for the topping]
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
The night before...
Cut up the bread into cubes and place into a greased pan.
Combine eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl. 
Whisk together.
Pour over the bread cubes.
Cover the casserole and place in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight. 
The morning of...
Remove the casserole from the refrigerator and preheat oven to 350.
In a bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon for your topping. 
Slice the 2 tablespoons of butter into small pieces and arrange over the casserole. 
Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar topping evenly over the casserole.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. 
Serve with syrup and extra cinnamon-sugar topping.  
Enjoy! 

10 comments:

  1. That sounds like an amazing Saturday! I am definitely a morning person, 9am being LATE to be sleeping in! Glad to hear someone else has an appreciation for big weekend breakfasts and relaxation :)

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my yumminess!! and i love your new look of you blog, the colors and clean lines and everything! your pic is so darling, love the big hat!

    xoxo
    hillary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks pretty amazing. And simple! Will have to try this...

    Amanda from www.UrbanEarthworm.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delic!! And the way you described it makes me think even I (very much unable to cook ANYTHING) could make it successfully:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This looks amazing! I kinda wish I could eat it right now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i will be passing this along to son2
    he will be in heaven
    kind of a bread pudding/french toast combo
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! My mouth is officially watering! Thank you for sharing! I love making breakfast or going on a breakfast date on Saturdays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ommmmmg this looks amazing! Can't wait to try it AFTER the wedding! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always wanted to try one of these french toast casseroles! This one looks easy enough and I'm sure I would LOVE waking up to this on Saturday morning. It would be a nice change from pancakes too.

    ReplyDelete