Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Winery Backyard BBQ

B and I spent last weekend with my parents in North Charlotte. Saturday afternoon, we drove up to Yadkinville for the RayLen Winery Backyard BBQ. It was my first time visiting this winery and the moment we drove onto the vineyard, I felt as if I had stepped into the Italy countryside. The cellar sat on top of a big hill with grapevines stretching far into the tree lines in the distance.
After a quick tasting, we selected a crisp bottle of Riesling to cool ourselves down from the slightly unbearable heat. Afterwards we split a bottle of my favorite, the deliciously creamy South Mountain Vineyard Chardonnay.
Meridian Restaurant catered the BBQ with a special menu for the day. The ladies kept it classic with BBQ on cheese biscuits and the gentlemen opted for an antelope burger. 
Everyone pitched tents and enjoyed music from a local group out of Winston-Salem. 
B and I were even able to sneak away for an unauthorized, self-guided tour of the vineyards.
If you can't tell, we are big vino fans! As seen here and here. You may find me at a few more wineries this coming weekend as well!

11 comments:

  1. I always pass signs for RayLen vineyards when I head home... looks like a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like so much fun! RayLen is on the list of vineyards we want to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you both are too fun! Sounds like a beautiful day, glad you had a good memorial day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard of RayLen from living in the area but haven't ever been! I might just have to plan a little day trip! If you love wine you should check out the wine festival at Tanglewood in Clemmons NC. It is every year at the end of May and has live music, plus practically every vineyard in NC is there. I love walking around sampling all the wines and finding new favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love wineries! My favorite! I've never been to this one.
    Thanks for you sweet comment today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool! I wish I could talk SoldierMan into doing something like this, he sees wine and RUNS the other way, haha! Looks like I need to schedule a girls trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love visiting the vineyards but havent had the chance to do any locally yet. This one sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks like a lot of fun
    only been to the biltmore winery here in NC
    looks like husband and i need to venture out a little
    it was extremely hot this weekend!!
    hope it is not a taste of what is to come
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your american flag tank!!
    I am a military wife and love everything patriotic! Did you get that locally or do you think it could be found online??
    Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete