Wednesday, January 11, 2012

"Jury Duty"

So I might have been "that girl" on Twitter yesterday...you know the one that heavily vents about personal problems on social media and you're sitting behind your laptop thinking...is that really the best idea?
Lets just rewind back to yesterday morning...
6:10am
I arrive at the train station early, plan on heading into uptown for breakfast before I need to get to Jury Duty. The second I get to the the train station, my car battery dies. [Whatever, I'll deal with it when I get back]
Arrive to the ticket booth, pull out my wallet, and realize I left my card at the restaurant I had lunch at the day before and I don't have any cash. Go to use the Amex...they only take Visa and Mastercard. 
6:35am
I'm stranded. 
Call my parents to come help me out [thank goodness they live just close enough...about 45 minutes away]
7:20am
Dad brings me a $20, breakfast, a hug, and a ride to the courthouse. 
7:50am
Give the clerk my summons and get a thank you Ms. M*****. [Think that's not my name, but I won't bother her with the correction.]
8:20am
Think something is not right, that was so far from my last name.
8:20:06am
Read my summons again. OMG!!!!! Notice T** M***** on the front of the summons, realize it is the person who lived in my apartment before me not the name of the officer/person who summoned me.
8:33am
Tell the clerk the situation. She laughs, everyone else laughs, I turn red. [Catch on to that ditsy moment? I went to jury duty for someone else!] 
9:00am
Get the heck out of dodge...aka run far away from everyone in that courthouse. 
9:25am
Take the train from uptown to my car.
10:07am
Arrive at my car and find two gentlemen to help me jump start my car. [I have jumper cables, so any joe schmo will do] Explain to the gentlemen that my car's battery is NOT in the hood so you jump start the car in a unique way. They look at me like I am some stupid girl who doesn't know what she is talking about, laugh at me and proceed to try and find my battery anyway...
10:28am
They finally listen to me. I. AM. RIGHT. 
10:30am
Thank them for helping a sista out...because although they were sexist, they were at least there. 
10:34am
I get myself a much needed Starbucks and ship my behind back to a very busy day at work.
[Earrings: Forever 21, Oxford: H&M, Vest: Banana Republic, Necklace: Forever 21, Belt: Stein Mart, Bracelets: Assortment, Purse: Steve Madden, Pants: Red Camel, Shoes: Target]


Twitter complaining justified. 
And to make sure I followed my one word....I celebrated that day ending with a full glass of wine in my bed.

The great thing about a day like this is that you realize the love you have around you; The loyal friends that were ready to drop everything to help me out, the parents who did, and the team at work that had my back while I was gone and the duration of the day. Kind of like this song.

Linking up my outfit and baggage with The Pleated Poppy

31 comments:

  1. Agreed, all complaining is totally justified!

    Btw, could you BE any cuter? LOVE the outfit. I am dying for some pumps like those... but the NUDE trend hasn't hit Sicily yet. I might be pulling out the CC and hitting up Target.com this evening... hehe

    Have a better day today!
    xo,
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you had a bad day but your story did make me smile!!!!

    Here's to a better Wednesday! If it is any consolation, you looked super cute while going to jury duty for someone else, asking for help from sexist men, and drinking your Starbucks.

    :)
    paige

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, you had a crazy morning!! Sounds like something that would happen to me. Your outfit is very cute, where did you get that bag??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh what a nightmare! You're still smiling though - very impressed!

    Love your outfit - wish I could look as well put together once in my life!! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Atleast you looked cute on your awful day! BUT that is pretty funny that you went for someone else...oops!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a day! Sorry it was a mess ;) At least you looked fabulous!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a day but that outfit sure is cute. Love the heels, the sweater vest and your belt!! Found you from WIWW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no!!! Bless your heart! One positive...the outfit is super cute. At least if you're having a bad day you can feel cute! :)

    Hang in there...today will be better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! Glad you can laugh about it now! My dad got a summons for jury duty...a week after he died. When I called to tell them he wouldn't be able to make it, they gave me a hard time saying he'd need to present his excuses either in person or in writing. Had to tell them THAT would also be impossible. Finally broke down (literally) and told them he'd recently passed away. Sheesh! Jury Duty always causes drama doesn't it?!?! Happy Hump Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what a story! At least you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love this story and your attitude about it all after the fact! What a day that was! I have jury duty in a few weeks, I double checked my summons after reading this! Sadly, it does have my name on it so I will be going!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bless your heart! That sounds like something that would happen to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no! At least it is something you can look back on and smile at! Are you drinking a passion tea lemonade? Best Starbucks drink ever (:

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow! I so want to use this story in a book someday. :) I'm sorry you had a frustrating day. Absolutely twitter justified!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is too funny that you went to court for someone else! :) I hope today is less frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You looked super cute though! I hate it when people won't listen when you tell them things about your car. I had the opposite happen - jumpstarted a guy on my way home from work last week. (At a gas station with lots of people around, so it was legit.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh man what a day!! and that will show those two men you DO know what you are talking about in terms of your car. the best part of your day, your super cute outfit!! love it girl

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh girl! Bless your heart! You did have a crazy day. I'm sorry but I laughed out loud when you realized that you went to someone else's jury duty! Oh and can I say I'm swooning over this outfit post? This look is SO me (and you too of course). I really want to do more outfit posts like this but my modeling skills are not up to par. Not to mention, I need someone to take my pics. I guess I could get the hubby. Who takes yours?

    ReplyDelete
  19. YIKES, Jordan! That sounds like a fun one for sure!

    At least your behind was cutely dressed when you shipped it back to work!


    Would love to have you by for a visit!


    ~Abbie (www.fivedaysfiveways.com)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a morning!! Loving your outfit today!
    Toodles,
    Twirling Clare
    twirlingclare.blogsport.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a CRAZY day!! At least you can look back on it and laugh...because it was a little funny, now that it's over!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a crazy day! You totally deserved that glass of wine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. you look way to cute to be in jury duty! : ) love the outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a terrible day! But at least you looked great!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a day!! I seriously love your outfit! Loving the gray vest with best!
    Xoxo
    Manda
    www.forloveofacupcake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Visiting from What I Wore Wednesday. Ugh, jury duty is so awful, but at least you looked amazing all day! Great outfit. I'd love for you to join my ABC's of Style challenge at http://fashionsgreatesthits.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. omg, what a day!! hey u scored extra blessing for going in place of someone else for jury duty, haha i'm glad you celebrated with a much needed break and relaxation once u got home! At least you looked snazzy while doing it all! :)

    xoxo
    hillary

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am very happy to read this. This is the type of manual that needs to be given and not the accidental misinformation that's at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this best doc.
    ACDelco 214-1080 Egr Valve

    ReplyDelete