Friday, January 27, 2012

biscuits and gravy

There isn't a breakfast dish I enjoy more than Biscuits and Gravy, particularly on a lazy Saturday morning. Let's be honest, it's a stick to your bones kind of meal that leaves you wanting a nap afterwards, which is okay because it's a lazy Saturday morning. 
To start...pop some biscuits in the oven and bake according to their instructions. 
...Or you can make the biscuits from scratch if you really want to
Next cook the sausage. I prefer Neese's sausage or venison (deer) sausage, courtesy of daddy. 
I chop it up into pieces before placing it into the pan. You can also cut into slices and make patties if you would like. Make sure you cook thoroughly through.
Remove sausage from pan to drain excess juices (as Paula Dean would call it).
Don't worry if you have leftover pieces of sausage.
 There shouldn't be too much grease left in the pan especially if you are using venison. If there is, drain out all except for about 2 tablespoons (eye it to your preference).  
Add about 2 tablespoons of flour and whisk together constantly for about 2-3 minutes. 
Add 2 cups of milk. Turn down heat and stir until mixture begins to thicken.
Add a little salt, pepper, and your cooked sausage to the gravy.
Voila, Gravy, baby! Serve and enjoy.
Have a lovely weekend my country bumpkins, and dont forget to do something fun!

13 comments:

  1. yummm! I couldn't agree more that B and G is the PERFECT lazy Saturday morning breakfast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks AMAZING. This and a nap just might be callin my name tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM. Nothing better than a lazy Saturday morning with biscuits & gravy! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, looks delish!! This would put me straight into a food comma though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. when i was young my grandfather always talked about sawmill gravy
    for some reason in my head i thought it would be made out of saw dust lol
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  6. holy moly!! my mouth is now watering!! I am going to have to make this soon!! I have always been so afraid to make gravy but I will have to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love biscuits and gravy! I shared our recipe a few months ago for Foodie Friday! It was very similar to yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my entire life, I've never once eaten biscuits & gravy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my husband's favorite dishes :) And Neese's make's the best liver mush or pudding which he also loves. I can't wait till we can move back to NC so he can have a little bit of home :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to make this this weekend or I may die. Haha it looks sooo yummy and I cant even remember the last time I treat myself to biscuits and gravy! Thank you, thank you, thank you for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never even heard of this before today (English) and just had a google search to find out. Sorry but it looks and sounds horrid! ;)

    ReplyDelete