Tuesday, December 06, 2011

burning rubber

Last Sunday, I joined my dad for the Charlotte Concerned Bikers Association and US Marine Corps Toys for Tots ride. It's always nice to spend time with my dad and a double bonus that the Marine Corps tied into the afternoon. After all, in order to be a part of the ride you had to at least bring one toy for the foundation (their truck was packed with goodies). It's been hard lately not being around a military community when half of my life is the military. I feel like I have been missing out on a lot.
With Christmas music blaring from my dad's decorated motorcycle, we were off! It was such a joy riding down the road seeing the sheer excitement of children and adults alike as they eagerly waved from their front porches and vehicles as1200 motorcycles rode by. 
 
Isn't crazy how we place ourselves into subcultures by our interests? (That's clearly the communication studies nerd in me, but attending something so distinct like a biker event, it's hard to not notice.)
The ride ended at a popular biker bar called Suck Bang Blow (get that mind out of the gutter and read about what it means here). It was a fun little adventure, we raised money for a great cause and enjoyed a beautiful ride around this city I have grown to once again love. 

5 comments:

  1. What an awesome way to raise money and have fun! I can't believe how many bikers there were!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like a fun day and how nice you got to spend it with your dad
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it looks like y'all had fun! My boyfriend & I are doing our first toy run next weekend here in D/FW & I can't wait! I'm not really sure what to expect but, I know it will be fun!

    Shayna
    mykitchenhomelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks awesome! Love to see people giving to Toy for Tots. I miss the military community too, especially around the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to spend the day! My brother is a Marine too.

    ReplyDelete