Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Southern Living - Taste of Charleston

A few weeks ago, I was contacted by Time Inc. and Southern Living Magazine and invited to attend this year's Taste of Charleston as their guest [mouth drop]. Like most southern girls, I grew up with Southern Living, Real Simple and Coastal Living adorning the coffee table and me daydreaming how one day my abode would be filled with the inspiration that pours out of these magazines. This opportunity was a surreal experience. The event took place at Boone Hall Plantation where upon arrival we were welcomed by miles of Spanish moss draping from the oak trees, promising what was sure to be a good time.
Food tickets in hand and a belly ready to taste anything with the title crab. 
I was able to meet and mingle with people like James Farmer [contributing editor at Southern Living] who won me over at the mention of Hydrangeas being his favorite flower. He gave a presentation on creating affordable fall centerpieces by remembering three F's: foliage, flowers, and fruit. James had us all laughing hysterically as he shared stories about life in central Georgia. 
Remember those tips and you can create something like this arrangement.
I also had the opportunity to meet other Southern Living editors like Christy Jordan [who started out as a blogger like me], Kimberly Schlegel Whitman, Jennifer Cole, Jennifer Zawadzinski [Public Relations Director from Time Inc], just to name a few. Every turn I made, a new editor appeared. [Can you imagine the excitement rushing through me?] Last but not least I met the editor in chief at Southern Living, Lindsay Bierman. Doesn't he look like he just stepped out of a JCrew magazine? (loved his style)
 After chatting with the team and hearing their words of wisdom and encouragement, I felt a renewed sense of excitement and fresh perspective as I pursue future endeavors. 
I bid adieu to my new friends and with my adrenaline still pumping, we hit the dance floor at the Southern Living Fitness Buddies tent and brushed up on our shagging skills...
visited the local vendors for an afternoon snack (round 3 at this point)...
Pastrami Reuben from Embassy Suites   
Crabcake slider from 82 Queen
sipped on a little pumpkin ale from the beer garden...
and rocked out to good ole' southern jams the rest of the afternoon. 
I could not have asked for a more wonderful opportunity and eventful Saturday afternoon. 

13 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness. To say I am totally jealous of this is an understatement! I am sure you had a wonderful time and you definitely deserved it! :) What do you think you want to do as a future career? Just wondering! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like SOOO MUCH FUN! I love Boone Hall Plantation... my boy and I loved visiting it over the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like so much fun! Glad you had an amazing time!

    ~Ariel at adreamersdaze.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this looks like an incredible time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, talk about an amazing Saturday. I am envious of you right now. How lucky and I bet you were like a kid in a candy store all day. Glad you got to enjoy yourself and meet some friends that I hope are long lasting. Great pictures as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO fun! This literally looks like the perfect day. Glad you had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool is that!!?? Looks like a blast and you got to mingle and meet with VIP's.
    Thanks for sharing
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you posted on this! It looks like an incredible time- and an incredible opportunity for you to meet and mingle with those Southern Living folks :) Thanks for sharing! -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an AWESOME opportunity!! You would be a great magazine editor! (if given the choice you should pick Real Simple since I already subscribe :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a such a wonderful time, and opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ohmyworddd that crabcake slider looks delish!

    I'm so happy you found my blog - How are you liking being back in the Queen City? I miss it like crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what an AMAZING weekend!! i absolutely LOVE charleston and am so jealous of your fun getaway!! glad it was wonderful :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the great information on hospitality ...That was my best days when I had spent my vacation on
    Restaurant Broadbeach

    ReplyDelete