Thursday, September 08, 2011

cauliflower fried rice

My mom, cousin and I celebrate our birthday's around Thanksgiving and it's been a tradition since we were little to have dinner at a Japanese Steakhouse [or better known in our family as "cook in front of you restaurant"]. Of course my favorite part of that meal is the fried rice, the most unhealthy part. 
Thankfully when I get the craving at home, we substitute rice with cauliflower. 
Doesn't that sound so bizarre?  
It's so delicious and much healthier. The first time we ever made it, we didn't tell my brother [who hates vegetables] that it was cauliflower, and he couldn't even tell the difference. 
Prep takes about 10 minutes with grating the cauliflower taking up most of that time.
In a pan heat oil. Stir in white onion and garlic. Be careful not to burn. Add Cauliflower.
Once you add the cauliflower stir constantly for 5 minutes until it begins to slightly brown. [I usually enjoy a glass of wine or a beer while cooking dinner]
Add soy sauce, beaten egg and peas. Stir well and enjoy! 
Get the recipe and nutrition facts HERE

9 comments:

  1. Fabulous idea! Never would have thought of using cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about this recipe. It is good. You can add all kinds of things: protein or vegs. Love it!I will have to make it ...Thanks for the idea..!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm this looks delicious! I love fried rice as well, but of course would prefer a healthier version. I'll have to try this soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying this out tonight!!!! I cannot wait! It looks delicious :) Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that you were drinking and cooking. You're my kind of girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never would have thought! I know there are people who substiture cauliflower for potatoes, but this just sounds genius! We will definitely be trying this soon! I can't wait- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the corona in your hand while you cook! My family has tried to trick me into eating vegetables before but it never worked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love cauliflower and this looks delicious as well as healthy! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to come back to this post and let you know that you inspired me to make this and it was de-lish-ous! Thanks so much, Jordan!

    ReplyDelete