Tuesday, July 19, 2011

classy lady

Around Christmas last year, I wanted to read this book snuggled up to a fire, unfortunately it never went from my online cart to my hands. The other day I found what seemed to be a similar alternative, Classy: Exceptional Advice for the Extremely Modern Lady
It was a New York Times Bestseller last year and from what I have read so far, I can see why, it's hilarious and actually has some wonderfully valid points. I think in today's society [calling you out, reality tv] we like to always test the waters when it comes to what is acceptable and what is crossing the line. I also think as women we struggle with the balance of classy as well as sexy, this little handbook has all those answers. This book also presents fabulous illustrations like this one about the classy girl going abroad. I appreciated this in particular because a few weeks ago when I was flying to Nashville, I couldn't believe some of the things I saw people wearing. I know your sweats are comfortable, but I don't care what you wear, squeezing your tiny butt into a coach seat is never going to feel that leisurely. 
In this next illustration, the author addresses how to dress and act at a party or any social gathering. [Oof, my parents would have killed me if I was caught wearing that outfit lingerie in that second photo.] The only thing I disagree with in the book is my belief that there is a way to be classy with a beer, because sometimes a martini just isn't what you're in the mood for. Besides there's a difference between being classy and yourself, and classy and fake right? 
This book addresses much more than fashion, it talks about writing the perfect letter, wearing makeup, how to make conversation during an awkward moment, and other etiquette tips. It's an easy read especially for those lazy pool days.

Have any of you read this book or a book on etiquette in general? 

10 comments:

  1. I WANT THIS BOOK! It's like that section in Cosmo (I think it's Cosmo) where they do the sexy vs. skanky. Those always make me laugh. This one actually has good ideas and tips. Although- I could never wear boots, especially high heeled ones on a flight. My feet would feel suffocated! Thanks for sharing. I am putting this on my must read list! I'd love for you to share more in later posts if you want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with being classy and drinking beer! I mean, a southern girl can't always have a martini at a tailgate!! Looks like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute book! I definitely agree with you about reality television. The generations behind us are extreme for no other reason to see what they can get away with. Thanks for sharing- I'll have to check it out and stay classy :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this book looks GREAT! Thanks for posting about it, I am always looking for a good book :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh yeah, this just went instantly into my Amazon cart. So did the other book. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminds me of the book Freakin' Fabulous by Clinton Kelly (of What Not to Wear). I think you would love it! I definitely want to check out this book now too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will absolutely be looking for this book the next time I head over to Books A Million (Wish I had a Barnes & Noble so badly!). I think I'll then need to make hundreds of copies of that page about what not to wear to a party and post them all over campus. Some of these girls' outfits...seriously. Phew!
    http://www.mambogook.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like such a great pick. This one is going in my amazon wishlist for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds like a good book. i may have to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! I know this is late, but I'm reading our old posts and just saw this. Love it, want it.

    ReplyDelete