Friday, June 10, 2011

Lowcountry Boil

This is a meal that screams summer to me and it's perfect for a small family dinner or a large gathering. Originally called Frogmore Stew and being from Charleston, that's what I should continue to call it, however it gives me the idea that there are frogs in it, so I much prefer the name, Lowcountry Boil. The stew was created by a National Guardsman who had to cook a meal for 100 soldiers. Its a fascinating little story about how it came to be, read it here

Bring 5 quarts of water and 1/4 cup of Old Bay seasoning to a boil in a large pot. 
Add 3 lbs of red potatoes and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
Add 2 lbs of kielbasa and 6 ears of fresh corn halved and cook another 10 minutes.
Add shrimp (fresh or frozen) and cook 3 to 4 minutes until shrimp is pink. 
Drain and serve with Old Bay seasoning, cocktail sauce and butter.

This is the kind of meal that can be altered to your liking and will still turn out nice regardless of the measurements. Onions, Garlic and Crab are often used in addition to the other ingredients. This is an easy meal so get creative. My mom cooked this as I was taking a little nap. We determined I was in a grumpy funk and needed one. I woke up to the spicy aroma of seafood and Old Bay which snapped me out of my mood. Yummmmm. 

13 comments:

  1. One of my favorite meals ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Momma...love you Jordan! ~Aunt Kara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, a low country boil is one of my favorite meals!!!!
    we make ours with crab though, and we don't eat off plates. :D we just pour it all out right on the table and dig in!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to make this tonight! I love this meal. Its so pretty. Great casual social meal!!! One of my favorites for a group in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband (A SC boy) LOVES this and this summer will be my first attempt at making it! It's not frogmore stew for him unless you throw it out on a table on some brown butcher paper and pick out what you want. Wish me luck with it- shrimp out here just are not what they are down in Charleston!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SHRIMP!!! AAAH! The only thing I'm allergic to in this world, go figure. :p ... aaaand have I told you lately how hot you is? Cause you is and I'm jealous. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is on my summer to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. one of my favorite things
    we host one every summer, just about time to get those invites out....
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh wow, it looks amazing! I think I became hungry :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. New follower! And I instantly love your blog, especially after I saw this post! I am originally from Beaufort, SC but now live in Charleston for law school. I agree with you that it will always be called Lowcountry Boil. If I ever have a "last meal" this would be it. Favorite thing to eat. Period.

    ReplyDelete