Tuesday, May 03, 2011

wait.

My momma came to visit for the weekend. I packed up a lot of my room, leaving only the things I need until graduation. I had my mom take two pictures of me with all my goods, one of me sad and one of me happy because I didn't know which emotion I wanted to write about. 

But that's what so unique about these moments in a person's life. Some days you are excited for the new adventure and others you want time to stop. 
It's definitely a roller coaster of emotions, kind of like PMS, but all of the time. Lately I have been feeling the down end of this ride. I am enjoying my friends, my last few weeks in this city and graduation. But the reality is, I want to work and placing it into the back of my mind isn't making me want it any less. Seeing friends having things figured out, their purposes being fulfilled is a struggle for me. 

Applying for jobs is kicking me in the behind. I recently wrote a blog for class explaining to underclassman how rough it is to apply for jobs, how time consuming they are and how much it can wear on a person's self-esteem. It's something you almost have to prepare yourself for. I have applied to a number of positions, hearing back from very few, only to have them say they chose another direction. It's hard to hear that, but even harder to never hear anything. You send your resume out to what seems like a black hole that no one is receiving. It's a situation you absolutely cannot control. I recently applied for a position and found out over 300 people applied in the FIRST WEEK of them positing! Can you believe that number? Talk about a punch in the stomach. It is an incredible position, in a great location, but I was not expecting that many applicants. At that point it really hit me how rough this economy is right now. I am a fresh out of college student who could very well be applying for positions against people with degrees and 10+ years of experience. Not only that but many of the positions I have applied for offer spousal preference, a completely valid program that I support, but a challenging hurdle for me. 

I am hopeful. I many be just out of college, but I have a never give up attitude, excited for the next step, to learn and offer innovative ideas. I also know I have the Lord on my side who has been reminding me each day to wait for his timing. Here was my dose of encouragement from Him today. 

13 comments:

  1. Just stumbled across your blog :) I'm graduating in one year, and can't believe it! I wish I could stay in school forever, but at the same time I'm also ready to be in the "real world," so I understand a little of what you're going through. Graduation is such an exciting time in your life and a great time of change! Trust that God knows what's best for you and will get you through it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Youre going to find the perfect job for you - don't worry! It took me a solid 9 discouraging months to find a job after I graduated and I was ready to give up all the time. I promise if you stay focused it will happen for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The economy is TOUGH! When I graduated from college (the first time) in 2008, after two years of applying, I couldn't find a job. I heard back from a few places, stating they had hired someone else or they decided that I was overqualified for the position; anything but a call for an interview. It was ROUGH. I eventually just gave up and decided to go back for a 2nd degree... it's hard out there. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope the job market is better now than it was back in 2008. Something has to start looking up sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been out of school for a year now, and no luck. You described the emotions perfectly. All we can do is be hopeful-- the perfect job will happen eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a great reminder to wait on God's timing. Sometimes that's the hardest part of waiting, is it shouldn't be on our timing, but on His :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good things come to those who wait :) And I believe your time is coming soon, don't stress, enjoy this time and I am sure a job will open up. It will probably be the "right" one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's even crazier graduating and moving across the country 6mo later... I couldn't find a job for 10mo, the exact same day I was hired my husband received orders to PCS. I worked for 5mo, moved home while he trained for 1.5mo and our household goods were slowly steaming across the ocean, and now we're here... homeless & me-jobless. Life is a crazy adventure, but when it needs to happen, it will!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh girlfriend, I feel ya! I am getting ready to graduate- well, I'm actually just walking at the ceremony...I still have 10 summer session credits till I'm finished. It's definitely an uneasy feeling. But, props to you for being hopeful! We serve a big God and He will be faithful to place you in a great job. All the best to you! xx, MademoiselleMichael

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep your chin up! I graduated college in May last year and I literally looked for jobs for about 8 months. I sent out countless resumes and cover letters and MORE than half of the time never received a reply. But all in all, the perfect job found ME - all that waiting was getting me prepared for it. God didn't want me to be in any of those other jobs that I honestly had no interest in I was just so desperate. He knew that the right job for me was there, just needed some time until it was ready for me. So I know when the right job is supposed to come to you it will :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. it is tough out there but just keep moving forward and don't let anyone get you down. the economy sucks, yes. however, it won't always and you just need to continue to put yourself out there and that job will find you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know you are going to find that perfect job that you'll be able to share all of your talents and insights. Its tough now but soon enough its going to be incredible :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went through the job search process last year and it is really tough! It may take some time but you'll find something perfect!

    ReplyDelete