Monday, May 23, 2011

Small Town USA

"A simple life and I'll be okay, here is small town USA"
You know those moments where find yourself thinking, "I am completely content right now." For many people that moment arrives at the beach, for some it's in the mountains. I remember one summer back in high school, listening to my favorite song at the time, riding on the back of my dad's motorcycle to a little deli up in Statesville, pondering over that exact thought. Then the other evening I went to Daveste' Winery with my parents in a town called Troutman. We had a couple of glasses of wine, listened to the Lake Norman Orchestra and chatted with people like we were catching up with old friends. 
I love seeing fields that meet the horizon, homes that have a least an acre of land but close enough to see your neighbors and large porches that act as your second primary living room. That's when I realized, I feel most content in small town, rural areas. There are many other moments and places where I have felt content, but it's those moments I feel most at peace. 
The wine might have been a factor as well. 
Where do you feel most content? 

9 comments:

  1. looks like you had a great time! I love events like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww you look gorgeous!

    Small town places make me the happiest as well. Being from a really small town and currently living in Miami makes me feel like a fish out of water sometimes! I love the comfort of walking around the historic downtown area in my hometown and being on dirt roads late at night, it's kind of perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. palmetto cafe. #duh

    "i could die right now..." haha miss and love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home. The South. I've blogged extensively about how MUCH I miss south and how awful and cold and just plain miserable northern NY is.

    Oh, and on the couch with the husband. A couch anywhere with him on it definitely makes up for whatever crappy location it usually is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't have said it better. Small Town USA is where I'm happiest - wherever that small town is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your posts. The pictures are beautiful and you look like you are having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun:)
    Love your shirt! Where is it from?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a fabulous afternoon to me...

    ReplyDelete