Monday, May 16, 2011

as we go on...

This weekend was an absolute whirlwind...I still don't believe I have been able to catch my breath. 
Well, I officially GRADUATED from COLLEGE!
It was such a perfect ceremony. We were able to sit with our friends, we didn't get split up by the seating (there were a lot of us, I was stressing a little), the dean of my department gave a very fun speech that everyone loved (Go COM Majors!), the ceremony was streamed to Afghanistan for a parent that is currently deployed (goosebumps) and the length of the ceremony was just right
Oh and, my flowers stayed on my cap the entire ceremony. The blue one fell off right before we were to enter the coliseum and was being held together by Caitlin's gum. Sometimes you've got to get creative. 
The party didn't stop there, because the next evening, B had his Commissioning ceremony at the Oceanic Pier in Wrightsville Beach. Do we even need to talk about how my heart dropped the first time I saw him in his dress blues? I mean seriously, he is so good looking. We were all waiting his arrival and I felt as though I was waiting for my Bride to walk down the isle. 
So many of his family and friends attended, which made the ceremony that much more special. He really does have one of the best support networks, very lucky boy. 
B's parents were nice enough to ask me to say a few words on B's behalf at the ceremony. I chose to be short and sweet with saying, "B, thank you for all your hard work in becoming a Marine, because I will be a great Marine Wife. Congratulations hun." Totally kidding! I did NOT say that.
Afterwards we all had dinner inside of the Oceanic, thinking about how much fun it was makes me want to jump around in excitement! There was a large party sitting next to us that we basically had join in on all of the fun; sharing speeches, toasts and cake. One of their guests came over and congratulated B and told him about his personal experiences in the Marine Corps, years back. Then  the entire party sang the Marine Corps Hymn and God Bless America (They had to have been in a church choir), so unexpected, but such a perfect evening.
I loved graduation, every minute of it, but B's Commission was the highlight of my weekend. This was his decision to better himself and his country and something that he has wanted to be a part of since he was younger. This was him actively pursing his dreams. For me, college had always been a next step. I was privileged to have parents that were able to put me through school and while I feel successful for the accomplishment, it was never a question in my mind to not go. More than anything I was excited to spend the weekend with my family and friends, my cousin even flew from NYC to attend and that's what made graduation such a special day for me. 
Well friends, let the next adventure begin....

17 comments:

  1. i LOVE all of this!! i never graduated from college so i'm so EXCITED and HAPPY for you that you were able accomplish such a wonderful goal!! and for your sweet Ben, so proud of him and his choice to follow his dreams as well. your heart only swells more and more the more cluttered their dress blues get with accomplishments and honors, i love our military men!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me smile so big! Congratulations to you both! :) Nothing better than entering that club of post-academia adulthood together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations ! So happy for you! And I love that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to you both!!! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for both of you, so exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting! Congratulations to you both! Y'all make such a pretty couple!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You already know how excited I am for you and for Ben! You just finished one chapter to your book, and are about to open another:) I'm so happy for you! You both worked so very hard. Your offically a Marine's GF now;)

    So, when are you both coming out to see us? Miss you!

    Congrats!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats, graduate!! And congrats Lt.Cole:) I will be sad when Spouse makes Captain because he won't be "Lt. Dan" anymore:( You look beautiful as per usual!

    ReplyDelete
  9. congrats to you and congrats to ben!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to both of you!!! Love your speech too ; )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had chills the entire post! Such awesome milestones and even more special you guys shared them together and with so many loved ones. Congratulations to you both!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations to both you and Ben!!! What an amazing weekend--and even better that it was shared with so many people you love. You look so beautiful and happy, and I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. congrats and congrats! you look gorgeous! that dress is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to you and Ben on your huge accomplishments! An amazing life awaits you both:)
    ~Cindy
    www.RetroRevivalBiz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete